Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Re: Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Post by strawberrysab »

Excellent review! I guess the best thing about this book it’s the important message it conveys of getting rescue dogs instead of paying gazillions for pedigreed ones. There are so many abandoned animals in need of love.
Berry :wine:
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

This seems like a great little book for kids to start yalkimg about pets in a fun but educated way. Not for me, but glad it is there for its target audience!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

It is an interesting book for those who love dogs especially children. However, children's books should not have grammar mistakes since in a way they might make the children overlook their own grammar mistakes in their learning process.
felicityhen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicityhen.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by felicityhen »

Thanks for your review! This book sounds really cute, and I love the idea of writing a children's book about your own pet. The images (both the photos and illustrations) sound like they really strengthened the book and the narrative, and your assessment of what age levels would like and be able to read this book was really thoughtful and helpful. Although I'm surprised there were grammar mistakes - I agree that it's worth taking a star away for that because to have a lot of mistakes in a small book meant for children should be pretty noticeable, and it seems a little sloppy not to have caught those.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

This looks like a fun story, but when I tried to read the free sample, all I got was a copyright page. Since I wasn't able to read the book, I loved getting a glimpse of it in your review--thank you. The one thing I wish you'd mentioned is why is the subtitle "A Spiritual Dog"?
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Appreciate your review. I was initially disappointed when I tried to read the sample and only the page listing the copy right information was available. Tried several ways to access thinking that I was doing something wrong. Since I have read your review, I definitely don't want to read this book. Considering that fact that the book is only 38 pages long, I don't want to disappoint myself any further. The ability of n author to create relatable characters in a book, allows readers to connect with them. If the words written are flat, so will my interest in reading.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by okayode »

A non fiction pet story for children... My little niece will love to read it. Dogs are very lovely creatures. Feed them in 3 days and they become your friend for life. Nice review.
Congratulations on BOD.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

This sounds truly adorable. And Bear looks so cute. I’m definitely looking forward to this one. Thanks for writing a review!
TamarL
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TamarL »

Re: Official Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"
by TamarL

Being the mother of five children, and owning a rescue dog, I believe that my children could relate to this story. I do disagree though with the name Bear for a dog would be interesting to the kids. I think the children would be more fascinated with the actual look of and interactions that Bear had with his family than his name. However, seeing that the author utilized photographs of the dog, a discussion could be had with younger audiences if they thought the name suited the dog's appearance. Thank you for the detailed review as the sample only gave the cover and copyright info.
sophlakewood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sophlakewood »

It sounds heartwarming, and like a good book to read with children! Bear is adorable and reminds me of my own Shih Tzu mix <3. Like you said, a sweet story about a beloved pet that still touches on the issues that an older dog faced could be a good way to help children understand animals and the effects of aging.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It was obvious that it was about a dog given the cover and title but I'm excited to try out the book since it is about a rescue dog. I miss our dog "Lupin" more.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks, for this great review! The book sounds like one that everyone could enjoy, especially small children. I just might try it myself.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

It may be a children's book, but I love dogs, so this might be perfect for me. It's a shame about the writing being flat sometimes, but I will probably be able to get past it for a cute story about an adorable dog! Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

By the look of the cover illustration, I would not have initially guessed it was a children's book. It does not have the usual vibrance. However, I do think children would love to read about Bear, the dog, and the family's love for Bear as well as their adventures together.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Gracie777 »

'A spiritual dog'! It's curiousity as to what the title means that has brought me to your review. True to your words, "the story could spark an educational discussion about rescue dogs as well as getting children to understand the way dogs change as they age". I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”