What was your favorite bedtime story?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Zeenada
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeenada.html

Re: What was your favorite bedtime story?

Post by Zeenada » 22 Feb 2017, 07:13

chloe_miller_x wrote:I used to adore Enid Blyton's work, especially the Magic Faraway Tree series and the Wishing Chair series. My grandmother used to read them to me when I stayed at her house, and I cannot wait for my little girl to be old enough to listen to them so I can experience the magic all over again =)
The Magic Faraway Tree was my favourite too! My parents used to read it to me every night for probably about a year. The pictures in it were so beautiful and it's got THE old book smell.

I also inherited a Little Mermaid book from my older cousin which had sound buttons on the side which I was able to return to her now that her new babies have arrived.

MarinaY
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the sorcer's stone
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by MarinaY » 06 Mar 2017, 18:28

Goodnight Moon! So sad I lost the copy my parents gave me

CarrieMe
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe » 10 Mar 2017, 00:32

I have really fond memories of reading the Little House on the Prairie series with my parents every night before bed. We read them over and over.

Vilma
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vilma » 11 Mar 2017, 05:50

My favorite bed time story is a collection of Aesop's fables by Deborah Campbell Todd. I like how the moral lessons are being taught through the stories. The moral lessons are not just for children but for adults as well

Amagine
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine » 24 Mar 2017, 16:58

My favorite bedtime story was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I enjoyed a lot of stories as a child. I was also a fan of Seasme Street books too.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

Robbie_38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Robbie_38 » 16 Mar 2018, 07:59

My favorite book was the moon in my room I now read that to my boys when they go to bed

EricaWilson
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by EricaWilson » 18 Mar 2018, 09:13

I wanted my parents to read Goodnight Moon to me over and over again.

Vscholz
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 786
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz » 05 Aug 2018, 23:59

I always wanted my mom to read my copy of The Little Mermaid to me. I have a copy of it that is about 100 pages with a good 50 words (or more) on each page, so it wasn't a quick read and she rarely obliged to reading the entire book.

The Little Mermaid was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters so I have always held it in a special place in my heart. I still have the book and I use it when I teach literacy narratives to my students (college composition). I think it also says a lot about my fascination with reading--I have always been a voracious reader and this book is probably one of the reasons why.

OloladeO
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Keagan's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Fire In The Heart by Lesley J. Mooney

Post by OloladeO » 06 Aug 2018, 04:49

I don't have any as I wasn't read to as a child. I intend to change that with my kid.

Laceyadams
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laceyadams.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Laceyadams » 06 Aug 2018, 07:23

Oh, I didn't have bedtime stories. I came from a family that couldn't even afford to feed. Books was a luxury so when I was in primary 3, I discovered I could go to the library and borrow books. A whole new world was opened on to me. I read voraciously. The librarian had to tell me he wanted to close. I did my chores with the speed of lightening so I could go back to my book. The Princess fairy tales held a lot of appeal. And the. Mills and Boon,Agatha Christie, James hardly chase came. Oh, and the African authors, Chimamanda, flora nwapa,I read them all. Still looking to get more if possible. Sigh...

Return to “Children's Books”