Review of Bullying: I may bend but I won't break

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Review of Bullying: I may bend but I won't break

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bullying: I may bend but I won't break" by Barbara J. Patterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Most people experience a form of bullying at some point in their lives. This story is about twins named Will and Lou. They experience bullying at school, and they turn to their faith in Jesus Christ to "zap" the bullying. The book also includes the story of a duck who reacts to wind and rain. These natural forces appear to be metaphors for bullying behaviors as well. How do Will, Lou, and the duck respond? Check out Bullying: I may bend but I won't break by Barbara J. Patterson to find out.

This book gives a few tips on how to deal with bullies. I like how it gave specific phrases that could be good comebacks for bullying remarks. It would help kids to know exactly what to say in those instances.

A significant portion of the book was about baptism and Jesus’s crucifixion. I get that the author is arguing that Jesus helps zap the bullies, but it did feel like the book was half about bullying and the other half was about trying to educate the reader about Jesus’s life. Also, some of the suggestions seemed great, but others didn't seem like they would be very effective. For example, one of the suggestions was to quack at the bullies after they bully you. While it would certainly be unexpected and may surprise the bully, it could also give the bully more ammunition. The bully may start quacking at the target of the bullying to make fun of that reaction instead of backing down.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I like the message about stopping bullying and most of the suggestions. I also like how it is biblically based, but I don’t like how a significant portion of the book is simply retelling scripture instead of relating it back to bullying. It felt like I read three separate stories: the story of Will and Lou, the story of the duck, and the story of Jesus. There wasn’t enough of a connection between each part of the book. It also contained some minor editing errors.

This book is suitable for kids who are being bullied at school and aren’t sure what to do about it. This book is also for Christians or people who are open to Christianity because a significant portion of the book is religious in nature. Read Bullying: I may bend but I won't break by Barbara J. Patterson for a Christian take on stopping bullies.

Bullying: I may bend but I won't break
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Phuti Mokgobu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phuti Mokgobu »

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the message that it provides. Through out my life I never believed in Jesus but thanks to this book I'm educated and enlightened about the knowledge of Jesus.

Only by paying attention and understanding the book, you can get the message and bravery you need to deal with bullying
Baljit kaur 5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Baljit kaur 5 »

I read this book. I really feel that author did amazing job. As it is cricial for the children to know how bully effect others and i reliase that this book help with the children emotions as well as also help towards thwir helping hand in society.
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

Bullies are scared people who take out their frustrations on others instead of learning how to deal with them, and kids most especially, face bullying in schools and neighbourhoods at some point in their lives. It's good to see a book that helps kids figure out how to handle bullies. Great review 👍
HusanLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by HusanLove »

The effects of bullying have serious and lasting negative impacts on our mental health and overall well-being. Bullying can cause feelings of rejection, exclusion, isolation, and low self-esteem, and some individuals can develop depression and anxiety as a result. Things need to change as not only the person who is bullied suffers but also the person who is bullied might have gone through or gone through the bad stuff and this is their frustration. They might be given time and support to make things easy for them.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Bullying can affect one physiological aspect of a child. It must be stopped. Bullies are problematic people who just want to give problems to others as well. It might be hard to avoid or stop them but the recipient must be strong enough to handle and ask for comfort from others. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 21:01 Bullying can affect one physiological aspect of a child. It must be stopped. Bullies are problematic people who just want to give problems to others as well. It might be hard to avoid or stop them but the recipient must be strong enough to handle and ask for comfort from others. Your review is awesome!
Thank you for your kind words!
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

Ignesta Ignetius wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 06:24 Bullies are scared people who take out their frustrations on others instead of learning how to deal with them, and kids most especially, face bullying in schools and neighbourhoods at some point in their lives. It's good to see a book that helps kids figure out how to handle bullies. Great review 👍
Absolutely! Thanks!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

If only bullies knew of the everlasting impact their actions have on their victims! May we also be aware and not be bullies. Awesome review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The title of the book review in "Bullying: I may bend but i won't break". Makes so much meaning to me. I am grateful for your review. Thanks

Return to “Children's Books”