Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Parks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Re: Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Parks

Post by katiesquilts »

I liked the Junie B. Jones series, but I stopped liking and reading them after I read the book where Junie pulls a girl's hair just because she wanted to see how the curl bounced back. I stopped being able to connect with Junie after that, because in my little head I couldn't believe she didn't know better than to keep her hands to herself, haha.
suzanneseidel
Currently Reading: Blind Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzanneseidel.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by suzanneseidel »

Jhan723 wrote:I LOVE reading to my daughter. She "reads" books all time (she's 18 months old so its more baby talk and pointing to the pictures) but she loves books and she loves to read and she loves for me to read to her. It's a really awesome bonding experience for both of us. I read the Junie B. Jones books and i actually wasn't all the excited about them. Call me that crazy first time mom but i actually could only read one of the books. I was worried that i would be teaching her bad habits. Yes i understand that the point of the books is to be in the mind of a little girl and little girls have fits over silly things and can't have conversations with the greatest vocabulary but i didn't want to read this out loud and let my daughter think that this is right. Now, i'm no perfect parent or english professor by any means but i also want to make sure that my daughter understands the difference between silly and right before i introduce her to these books again.
I never thought about it that way! Probably because I am not a mother. Junie B. Jones definitely isn't the best example. Maybe when your daughter is older you guys could read a Junie B. Jones book together and talk about what Junie should have done in some circumstances.
HarneetB
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5840">The Princess Bride</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harneetb.html
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Post by HarneetB »

Absolutely loved this series growing up, it was actually the first books I have ever read and made me fall in love with reading. I adore the stories and own almost all the books. Even till today I read them for fun because they are funny and short and can be relatable. Junie B Jones never failed to make me laugh, always so entertaining. Barbara Parks did an amazing job with this series.
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've heard of this series and it is very good chapter book for kids to get into. It is still entertaining and have a great humor to it that children and adults can enjoy. It is definitely a great book for an adult to read to an older child or have the child read it aloud to them!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

These books are wonderful! I really enjoyed reading them as a kid and always wished I had the full collection. Junie B. really does feel like a classic 5-6 year old with the way she thinks. The stories are fun for kids to read, and I remember my mom enjoyed reading them to me just as much as I did!
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Children's Books”