Review of Rainbow Umbrella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Review of Rainbow Umbrella

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rainbow Umbrella" by Ann Hoang.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rainbow Umbrella, by Ann Hoang, follows two children as they explore the Pacific Northwest Cascades with the help of a rainbow umbrella. Along the way, they see many different landscapes. They go through mountains and woods. They see animals like marmots, bears, and snow geese. They see flowers, trees, and water. Their journey is breathtaking.

I most liked the pictures in the book. Charity Russell did an absolutely amazing job. Every page was bright and beautiful. One of my favorite illustrations included red flowers standing out against white snow. Another picture shows a cascading waterfall that looks just like a comet's tail. Another showed beautiful red berries on bright green bushes. I could go on and on about how stunning this book is.

There was nothing I disliked about the story, but I also liked the language in the book. It sounded melodic when I read it aloud to my kids. There were also some challenging words that were learning opportunities. For example, the author used the word "alight" instead of "walk down." When we got to a word my kids didn't know, I took the time to explain it to them.

This book is best suited for pretty much any age kid. Very little kids would enjoy the beautiful colors of the pictures. Kids who are a little over would appreciate the details in the pictures and the poetic style of the writing.

I would happily rate Rainbow Umbrella 4 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't rate it any lower because there was nothing I disliked about it. It was exceptionally well edited, and I found no errors. As I said before, the illustrations were stunning. This will definitely be a book I read over and over to my kids.

I highly recommend Rainbow Umbrella. I look forward to reading it to my children again and sharing it with other children in my life!

Rainbow Umbrella
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I liked the fact that the illustrations are very appealing, certainly it would entertain any kid.
Great review.
Moesha LilTransformer Mlaudzi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moesha-livhuwani.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Moesha LilTransformer Mlaudzi »

Such an amazing summary. I will definitely get this book for my baby siblings and myself too.
Celi Malones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Celi Malones »

It was agreat book especially for children. I read a lot of children book but for me this is my new favorite book I read. It was great.
Mae Marzan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mae Marzan »

The harmonious blend of words and pictures in Rainbow Umbrella will deeply engage children in an immersive experience. Ann Hoang cuts to the heart of the matter as her rhythmic short verses not only draw young readers but adults as well. There is an inherent beauty in the pages that anyone can appreciate regardless of age. Hoang’s word choices are startlingly smart, clean, and lean the way text in a storybook should be. Charity Russell’s illustrations build with the rhythm of the verses, setting and enriching the pages with hypnotic nature scenes. It’s a great pleasure to read this book, and both adults and children can enjoy the ride along with the Rainbow Umbrella that will take them on a nature-tripping adventure.

Return to “Children's Books”