Review of Orcas Forever

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Orcas Forever

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Orcas Forever" by Marie-Paule Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Orcas Forever is a book that tells a short story about a pod of orcas that move around the Salish Sea. Marie-Paule Mahoney brings to light the current situation of orca presence here on Earth. The ocean bears so many mysteries, and humans have tried to understand their denizens, especially the dolphins, which have human-like intelligence. The K pod of orcas begins their hunting spree for their daily meal, led by their two matriarchs, Sequim and Lea. After this, they will link up with J and L pods, which will begin the greeting ceremony. What goes on during this tradition of theirs? What dangers do they face over their lifespan?

The book was aesthetically pleasing to read. The illustrations were so good that they told a story of their own without the words. The illustrator understood what needed to be done to captivate a young audience and engage an older one. I had a good time just leafing through the pages and wished I had some of the pictures as wallpapers.

The behavioral demeanor of the orcas intrigued me. The author highlighted how the orcas operated to make us understand them. All findings were gotten from a live study of the orcas in their natural habitat. It impacted new knowledge on me. I learned that the orcas run a matriarchal society, and the fathers have no role in child upbringing. I also learned how they processed grief, which was a surprising discovery. There were more things to learn from reading it.

The book's central message is about the endangerment of this unique breed of animals. It is a call to action about how human actions affect the ecosystem of these animals, which in turn affect ours and not positively. Although meant for young readers, the dramatized story of true-life events also shows older ones how we need to care for our fellow earthly residents.

Orcas Forever is a short read with an impactful message. It is exceptionally edited and appealing to read. I have no issues with it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to both young and old readers with empathy for sea animals.

Orcas Forever
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I have read this book, and I agree with you on the pictures. They were really fantastic to watch. Thanks for the great review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a humorous educational children's book that highlights the dramatized story of a true-life event exploring a journey into the world of endangered orcas. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Kirana Lin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Kirana Lin »

This sounds like an insightful read! I admit that I've taken an interest in orcas before, so it's indeed intriguing to know a bit about their behavioral demeanors. It's great that there are some illustrations in the book as well!
Thanks for the detailed review.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY MARIE PAULE MAHONEY WHICH SPEAK ABOUT A GROUP OF ORCAS WHICH MOVE AROUND THE SEA, THEIR BEHAVIOR AND THE ENDANGERATION OF THIS SPECIES.
A BOOK FOR YOUNG AND OLD WITH EMPATHY FOR MARINE ANIMALS. GOOD REVIEW
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

People must protect sea creatures like endangered Orcas. I hope they will still multiply and will exist for more years. I love the beautiful illustrations of this book, and congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83097
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1067%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📖📚 of the day BOTD is children's genre a hidden life of trio southern residence of orca's that sail between the USA and Canada it encourage younger readersto follow the daily life of this whale's and their activities as they are therathen with human activities, environment, pollution they are soon going extinct..the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

I learned that the orcas run a matriarchal society, and the fathers have no role in the child's upbringing.
- Doesn't this refer to all species on our planet? - Except the sea horse? I guess everything has its exceptions. I'm quite fascinated by your review and will consider this book. Thank you.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

It’s mind-blowing knowing how much our everyday actions impact the world, especially endangering beautiful creatures like orcas. The illustrations are breathtaking, and it’s prominent; the author did their research and showcased it brilliantly to fulfill the purpose of educating the reader. I’m always drawn to books that teach valuable life lessons; this book succeeded in that task. Thank you for writing an honest and captivating review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

I love that the book is about sea creatures and it seems like a children's book. But since young and old will relate reading this book, why won't I? It's worth reading and congratulations to the author on BOTD!
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

Sounds like a short and interesting read for young and old, and the pictures are stunning! A nicely crafted little call-to-action piece.
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

Definitely the illustrations in 'Orcas Forever' tell a story of their own. Although written for a young audience, this book can be enjoyed by anyone interested in orcas and sea life.
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 06:51 It’s mind-blowing knowing how much our everyday actions impact the world, especially endangering beautiful creatures like orcas. The illustrations are breathtaking, and it’s prominent; the author did their research and showcased it brilliantly to fulfill the purpose of educating the reader. I’m always drawn to books that teach valuable life lessons; this book succeeded in that task. Thank you for writing an honest and captivating review.
Can't agree more with you--this book does teach valuable life lessons.
Mikayli Glasscock
Favorite Book: The Wishing Game
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayli-glasscock.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Mikayli Glasscock »

After reading a few pages of the book, I realized that it is the perfect book for a child who likes sea animals, especially orcas. The illustrations are beautiful and very realistic. It is definitely a book to consider including in my classroom library.
Thank you for your wonderful review.
Congratulations to the author on Book of the Day.
“Read the books you love, tell people about authors you like, and don’t worry about it.”
-Neil Gaiman
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Margi zuu202 wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 06:03 Book 📚📖📚 of the day BOTD is children's genre a hidden life of trio southern residence of orca's that sail between the USA and Canada it encourage younger readersto follow the daily life of this whale's and their activities as they are therathen with human activities, environment, pollution they are soon going extinct..the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯
No doubt this would be the perfect read for children and instill in them a love for nature and animals--the illustrations in the story are really something.

Return to “Children's Books”