Review of My Daddy Slays Dragons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of My Daddy Slays Dragons

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Daddy Slays Dragons" by Stephanie Kahle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is a special dedication to firefighters, aspiring firefighters, and kids whose parents, siblings, or close relatives are firefighters. The author composed this novella years ago when her husband, a firefighter, had gone to combat wildfires for weeks. Gone too long, Stephanie Kahle wrote the work as a dedication to her young kids to show them their dad was a hero.

In My Daddy Slays Dragons, a young boy introduces us to his heroic dad, who saves lives by being a firefighter. The dad puts on his armor, and he goes to danger to save the day. Some days the dad is doing his job around, while other times, he is far away. What a gallant father!

While doing his job, the father tells his son the importance of having a good crew. Teamwork is one of the prevailing themes. Jointly, the firefighters slay the dragons because even the Bible says, "Two are better than one." While the dad is away, the family is worried sick and can't wait for him to come back and give him hugs.

I enjoyed the themes of bravery, teamwork, and family dynamics. We have a father who wakes up daily and boldly steps out to save the day from fires. A devoted mother has to keep her kids safe and the house in order. A kid is worried for his father. Also, we have a crew of firefighters who have to work together.

Though some pictorials were not that inviting, I still appreciated the illustrator's effort. Having detected no errors, I can say My Daddy Slays Dragons by Stephanie Kahle is superbly edited. Further, I identified no reason to detest it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Ultimately, the author gives crucial fire safety points to kids. I recommend the book to kids interested in firefighting and those whose parents are firefighters.

My Daddy Slays Dragons
View: on Bookshelves
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

I’ve loved the family’s bravery and team work. This is a challenge in so many families - No teamwork. This book is worth giving it a short. Thanks for that well written review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

The title of the book is very catchy and intriguing.
I do not underestimate the power of team work, and bravery.
Thanks for this great review.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

It is a good lesson of bravery, teamwork, patience and perseverance for kids. I like that there are also fire safety points in the story. The book is both entertaining and educational. Thank you for the review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book teaches a lot of moral lessons. Great for kids and adult alike.
Nice review.
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

Being a firefighter has to be one of the bravest things one an decide to do for a living. They task their self with the risk of death at any point and so I think the kid had earned the right to brag about his father.

Return to “Children's Books”