Review of Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story" by Susan Mackewich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's in the nineteenth century. Young Sarah is lonely and has been for a while. To make matters worse, her mother was expecting a child. Sadly, the child suffers stillbirth and does not even let the first cry. Sarah's expectations of becoming a bigger sister are shattered!

Meanwhile, Elizabeth is a bunny who has given birth to four offspring. She's a proud mother and needs to take care of them. So out Elizabeth goes to seek food for herself and the young ones. As Elizabeth roams about, she accidentally ends up trapped by Sarah's father. It's Easter, and Sarah's family has to prepare a delicacy. They've even invited Reverend Thomas and his wife for the Easter celebration. When Sarah encounters the trapped rabbit, sorrow fills her, and she is determined to rescue her. Will Sarah liberate Elizabeth?

I enjoyed the few pictures the author inserts. They're satisfying, but more illustrations would have made the book stunning. I loved the historical setting and how the events collaborated with the era. Instead of cars, Sarah and her family use horses with carts.

The book pulled me back to those eras when communal sharing still existed. Families would come together and enjoy meals without modern distractions like smartphones. Then Sarah's homestead includes chickens, cooking of ham and lamb, gardening, etc. I enjoyed reading the thoughts of Elizabeth because the author employed the first-person point of view during her involvement.

I didn't find any errors. We have a professionally edited book. Sarah has a big heart and is willing to act right when required. The loss of the infant was devastating to Sarah, who desired to love and care for a younger sibling. I found nothing to disdain. As such, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story by Susan Mackewich to kids between the age of seven and ten who enjoy historical installments.

Sarah's Hope A Sarah Tilghman Story
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I would have loved a book like this when I was a girl! I think modern children's stories about past eras help bring out the emotions and viewpoints that people had in common, no matter when they lived.
Danica Misa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danica Misa »

It was a quick breaking scene to make a story more interesting on the things might happened in coming chapters. It remind me of an old days on how people live and enjoys gathering with family.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book reminds of the good old days of family gathering.
I recommend this book to kids .
Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”