Review of The Silverkiind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Review of The Silverkiind

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Silverkiind" by Joyanna Bean.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Silverkiind by Joyanna Bean is a children’s fantasy book about Dove and Rayfe. They are twins that live on a hidden island called Overmist. This island must stay hidden because of the Wissens. These are special trees that would be cut down by the outside world for their silver beauty if the island were ever found. These trees send out whispers to help the people of Overmist Island that only Dove, the Silverkiind, can understand. She uses these messages to help the people make decisions and to know what’s going on with the weather and the island. Everyone relies on these messages to go through their days. What would happen if the trees stopped whispering?

This book jumped right into the action, which I loved. The author did a great job making it interesting from the first page. The trees stopped whispering right away, and Dove and Rayfe were put to the test. I appreciated that this was done without confusing the reader. The author still managed to build background by explaining the island, the trees, the mist, and the kids’ roles as Silverkiind and Protector. This background building is often missed when the action begins right away.

I loved that the characters showed growth throughout the story, especially Rayfe. He started out with a specific character flaw that ended up leading to major problems. He worked on this as the book progressed, which shows the young audience that growth is always possible. I can’t give too many more details on that without spoiling the book, but this growth provides a great lesson for children.

Unfortunately, there were a few minor pitfalls to this book. The first is that the book was not professionally edited. There were several errors throughout. These didn’t detract from the story, but there were definitely enough to be noticeable. There were also a few inconsistencies with some of the details in the book and with the timeline. For example, there was one character that was given a name by another character. A different character somehow knew this name without anyone telling her. However, these inconsistencies probably wouldn’t be noticed by a young audience. I might not have noticed if I weren’t reviewing the book.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story was excellent and full of action and lessons for young readers. Even as an adult, I enjoyed it. If the book went through another round of editing, I would definitely consider giving it a perfect rating. As written, I would recommend this book for elementary and middle school children who are reading independently and enjoy fantasy fiction.

The Silverkiind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The story sounds intriguing. However, I'm not a usual fan children book. But your recommendation motivates.
Signature of Grace.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

The silverkiind book is a book talks about island's weather and it has two characters: Dove and Rayfa
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This novel seems interesting and your review was great. However, books for children always seem shallow to me. I will read this one it might disapprove my theory.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This seems a great middle-grade book! I really Iike the importance the author gives to communication with nature. Hopefully, this book will receive the round of editing it deserve and reach perfection. Thank you for the review :)
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The author did a good job in the presentation and characterization of the book. Thanks for your review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

When I was young, I really enjoyed novels of that kind. I'm a still a fan of fantasies and stories depicting hidden islands but I haven' read similar stories since a very long time. I think I would enjoy this book tremendously. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love children's books and the characterization in this book was portrayed beautifully by the author. Nice review

Return to “Children's Books”