Review of SunshineButterfly and Moonlight Moth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of SunshineButterfly and Moonlight Moth

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SunshineButterfly and Moonlight Moth" by Rochelle Rabouin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sunshyne Butterfly and Moonlyght Moth are close cousins who like flying together. They fly at anytime and anywhere. Nevertheless, plastics and toxic chemicals affect the environment; therefore, making it hard for most insects to go about their business. When the two cousins gained their newly formed wings, they seemed to have their rhythm of flying mixed up, and they feel it! Something is not right! They both start searching for a rhythm that will work best for each of them. Should Sunshyne Butterfly and Moonlyght Moth fly at different intervals or different times of the day? Better still, will they find their rhythm?

Growing up, I used to be captivated by the sight of moths, mostly at night. I would watch as they flew in a circular motion around a light source until they got exhausted. During the day, I’d chase butterflies until I got a hold of one. SunshineButterfly and Moonlight Moth by Rochelle Rabouin rekindled my memories as a child and had me smiling, sometimes even chuckling.

I have read many children’s books but not as distinctive as this one. It has both science and fun in it. I liked the science part is explained in a way that even a child can comprehend. The colorful illustrations can assist a child to distinguish between the two insects.

What moved me most was how Rochelle explained metamorphosis to kids. With picturesque illustrations of the four stages of growth, children will gain immensely from the story. The book’s ending contains questions that young ones should answer to gauge whether they’ve understood the logic behind butterflies and moths.

There were neither grammatical errors nor typos, so the work is professionally edited. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I do so because I detected nothing to dislike. For anyone looking for a present to gift a child, this book would prove exceptional. I recommend it to children between ages 6 to 10 years, more so those who enjoy science.

SunshineButterfly and Moonlight Moth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like a sweet story. I love children’s stories that teach kids about nature. I look forward to reading this. Thank you for your great review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

What a great way to teach children about natural sciences. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Gabriella Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-smith.html
Latest Review: Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser)

Post by Gabriella Smith »

This book sounds so whimsical which is lovely! Hopefully, it also raises a generation of environmentalists.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I don't like moths, but I like butterflies. This sounds like a sweet story. It sounds both educational and fun.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Children's Books”