Review of Today Cara Goes to Kindergarten

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of Today Cara Goes to Kindergarten

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Today Cara Goes to Kindergarten" by Joan Ruddiman, EdD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children experience many milestone moments throughout their educational journeys, and new faces and places often trigger a whole host of scary emotions. Anticipatory anxiety is common in young kids, and most children will likely wonder whether anyone will genuinely like them on their first day of school. Today Cara Goes to Kindergarten is a children’s book written by Joan Ruddiman, EdD, and since the character of Cara is based on (and portrayed by) one of the author’s granddaughters, it is a meaningfully sentimental story, too!

As Cara starts getting ready for her first day of kindergarten, readers get a glimpse into her home life, and they get to hear some of her genuinely voiced worries and concerns. As the story progresses, Cara exhibits a varied range of smiles, frowns, and tears, but her mother calmly assures her that sudden tummy aches and feelings of nervous trepidation are normal in such situations. Cara asks how she should face such a big day of unknown stressors, and her mother tells her that it’s important to be friendly to others to gain friends in return, so Cara sets out to make a charismatic first impression on her classmates and discovers that she actually does have the confidence to reassuringly succeed. Will she be able to find someone new to eat lunch with each day? Readers will have to flip the pages to find out.

I like how a varied blend of different-colored fonts are used to emphasize certain statements, and all of Cara’s spoken dialogue appears italicized, so little readers are easily able to identify when the main character of the story is speaking. The illustrations in this book are also very unique. They are digital photo collages that have been superimposed onto illustrated backgrounds. They feature actual photographs of Cara that have been creatively blended with some original artwork by Jo Ann Kairys. There are colorful depictions of castles, princesses, stuffed animals, and pink bedspreads, and there’s even a framed family photo sitting on Cara’s dresser. The kitchen table displays a delicious plate of pancakes, and readers will spot new school supplies, personalized classroom cubbies, lunchboxes, and backpacks.

This story is 13 pages long, and I only encountered one grammatical issue with a missing comma while reading. There is absolutely nothing I disliked about the book, and I feel that this storyline would be appropriate for kids who are just about to start school themselves. Since complex emotions are universally experienced, children of either gender will love having this book read aloud to them by a parent, guardian, or even an older sibling. This story helps young readers realize that all children worry, and they’ll likely be able to relate to the concern of hopefully being liked by their peers.

I enthusiastically award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. With 30 years of personal education experience, this author is uniquely qualified to write school-related stories. She shares some details from a professional teaching perspective, but as a proud grandmother, she’s equally capable of weaving in relevant characteristics from a familial viewpoint, too. This whimsically engaging book is perfect for all young children starting school, and Dr. Ruddiman offers one sage piece of helpful advice: “Just be yourself, kind and friendly and fun!”

Today Cara Goes to Kindergarten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

How exciting the first day of school is for all while fearful at the same time. The book sounds like the author touched all aspects of this milestone we all experience and would be a wonderful story to read in preparation of the big day! Thanks once again for such a thorough review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a unique book for little ones! I loved that the main character's line are italicized :) Thank you very much for this insightful review!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 09:33 How exciting the first day of school is for all while fearful at the same time. The book sounds like the author touched all aspects of this milestone we all experience and would be a wonderful story to read in preparation of the big day! Thanks once again for such a thorough review!
Exciting and fearful indeed!! This author did a wonderful job showing a wide range of relatable emotions as Cara prepared to venture off. Thank you! 🍎
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 09:47 Sounds like a unique book for little ones! I loved that the main character's line are italicized :) Thank you very much for this insightful review!
Uniquely illustrated for sure, and the italicized dialogue was such a neat feature! Thank you for the kind words of support. I hope many small readers get some exposure to this one. 🎒
Ray Ogee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray-ogee.html
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Ray Ogee »

I think this book will go a long way to teach kids the proper way to make friends, especially in a new area. Good review by the way.
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Children are most uniquely designed, they fragile mind do not accommodate hurtful words. Great review.
AvidBibliophile

Nazzy_ wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 17:44 Children are most uniquely designed, they fragile mind do not accommodate hurtful words. Great review.
Very true 👧🏽🧒🏻 in that regard; they are quite resilient. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

The title is uniquely intriguing. I liked how the author crafted the characters. Great review.
AvidBibliophile

Unosthetic wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 20:16 The title is uniquely intriguing. I liked how the author crafted the characters. Great review.
It was a great book! I enjoyed reading it and hope others do too. Thank you for the comment. 📖
AvidBibliophile

Ray Ogee wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 13:42 I think this book will go a long way to teach kids the proper way to make friends, especially in a new area. Good review by the way.
I think the very same! New schools, and teachers, and classrooms, and peer groups can be scary at first, but kindness goes a long way. I appreciate you stopping by! 📚
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I loved how Cara's character was infused with so many different emotions which all of us go through when moving to a new place or work. Thanks for the great review!
AvidBibliophile

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 04:37 I loved how Cara's character was infused with so many different emotions which all of us go through when moving to a new place or work. Thanks for the great review!
You make an excellent point because we all definitely go through a whole range of feelings when meeting new people and new places! Thank you for your kind and lovely words. 💫
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

This book would go a long way even for me. I find it difficult to relate in new environments. Children should be taught the art of making new friends when they are younger. Amazing review?
AvidBibliophile

Amanda I wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 21:35 This book would go a long way even for me. I find it difficult to relate in new environments. Children should be taught the art of making new friends when they are younger. Amazing review?
Children definitely need kind guidance and reminders to build lasting and meaningful friendships when they can! And to be honest, I often find it difficult to relate in new environments too, so we aren’t alone in feeling that. Thank you!

Return to “Children's Books”