Review of Squeak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Squeak

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Squeak" by Robin L Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Squeak! by Robin L. Gordon is definitely a bird-lovers book. It will leave a smile on the frowniest face. The title is written as it appears on the cover page.

A tiny European Robin is having trouble finding his chirp. With the onset of spring, the other birds fly off to spread their songs; but our red-breasted bird stays behind. When his friends notice his absence, they gather around to nudge him out of his nest. Unfortunately, this tiny creature has a low-confidence issue and hates the sound of his squeak.

Everyone tries to convince him of his uniqueness and his beauty. Will our little he start believing in himself before time runs out?

Undeniably, the message about self-confidence and self-acceptance is the most important aspect of the story. Unfortunately, many children deal with these issues. Interestingly, the author uses a bird as lacking confidence; usually, children respond in awe to these creatures, being moved by their flight and twitter. I suspect they will immediately connect with this protagonist. Unlike E. B. White’s famed The Trumpet of the Swan, no one bullies the red-breasted bird; instead, the other birds praise his unique voice, which he dislikes so much. They see his intrinsic qualities, but he has yet to approve of them.

The illustrations—drawn by Julie Leiman Weaver—are mesmerizing watercolors. The blending effect and the details make the birds look cottony and silky soft. I’m partial to cool and neutral gray tones, which Weaver uses generously. These color combinations make the drawings feel whimsical. The scenery depicts an early spring day; sometimes, the clouds cast a gray shadow on the landscape. The animals look realistic—no googly cartoon-like eyes. Together, the text and illustrations spark a dreamy and peaceful impression of nature; it is like stumbling into a real secret garden. I won’t doubt children will pay closer attention to birds after finishing this book.

My favorite part is the birds; their striking colors pop out of the page. I could actually identify a few of them. For instance, a Northern Cardinal, a Blue Jay, and a Black-capped Chickadee. I did search for the names of the birds; consequently, an appendix with additional information might be useful. But, it may take out the thrill of the search.

I rate Squeak! 4 out of 4 stars. Finding zero errors, the book is exceptionally well edited. The ending left me with a smile and a brighter outlook; therefore, a lower rating would be amiss. I got the e-book version—this is my only woe; the hardcover version would be a better investment.

I recommend this book to future birdwatchers, especially if they can already name the birds. If they can’t, it will still ignite interest. Children having trouble with self-image might benefit from the moral behind this story.

Squeak
View: on Bookshelves
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Firstly I'm in love with its beautiful cover, secondly, I admire the way the author has used a bird with low self-confidence to describe the situation we all deal with .The theme of the book is good. Thanks for the review .
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I like the birds' illustration on the cover page. I think I should gift this book to my little sister. Thank you for the recommendation 🌻🌼
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Aww! The book melted me. A bird having trouble and a low-confidence issue really saddens me. I really want to read this beautiful book full of messages. Thanks for the beautiful review.
kikonde
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd edition
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by kikonde »

I'm in love with this phrase..... Undeniably, the message about self-confidence and self-acceptance is the most important aspect of the story. Unfortunately, many children deal with these issues. Interestingly, the author uses a bird as lacking confidence; .......which is not only seen in children but also to adults....thanks for the review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I don't think I love birds that much, but I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Nice review!!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Self-confidence and self-acceptance are the most important things that a child must learn. Little Robin's story would surely give them an insight into these topics. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would absolutely love to read this book being a bird-lover myself! Illustrations sound so gorgeous! Self-confidence and self-acceptance are so important topics to touch on. Thank you very much for a great review! :)
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ellylion wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 09:42 I would absolutely love to read this book being a bird-lover myself! Illustrations sound so gorgeous! Self-confidence and self-acceptance are so important topics to touch on. Thank you very much for a great review! :)
I noticed your avatar picture :D . I think you'll enjoy it too.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 15:43 Self-confidence and self-acceptance are the most important things that a child must learn. Little Robin's story would surely give them an insight into these topics. Thanks for the wonderful review.
The birds in the book give that message in a beautiful way. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

ROSEYANN wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 21:52 Nice review!!
Much appreciated! :D
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 04:07 I don't think I love birds that much, but I would love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
Nothing wrong with that :D , it's great you still want to give the book a try. thank you for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

kikonde wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:53 I'm in love with this phrase..... Undeniably, the message about self-confidence and self-acceptance is the most important aspect of the story. Unfortunately, many children deal with these issues. Interestingly, the author uses a bird as lacking confidence; .......which is not only seen in children but also to adults....thanks for the review
I couldn't agree with you more. Adults could also use a book like this one. After all, it did affect me :D . Thank you for the kind comment and for stopping by! You're welcome
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 10:26 Aww! The book melted me. A bird having trouble and a low-confidence issue really saddens me. I really want to read this beautiful book full of messages. Thanks for the beautiful review.
This is definitely one of those books for propping your feet on the couch and enjoy. Thank you for your kind comment.

Return to “Children's Books”