Review of Splash Adventures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Review of Splash Adventures

Post by Dimi1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Splash Adventures" by Janice M Pulsifer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Splash Adventures by Janice M. Pulsifer is the story of an eighth grader that will soon become a ninth grader who moves to a new neighborhood with his family and tries to fit in. James or Jimmy is an energetic kid that needs to make new friends and achieve his goal of getting a new bike with his own money. His target will lead him to get a part-time job in a nearby art gallery and getting involved in a mystery concerning some artworks and the waterpark that is about to be built and where his father is the construction foreman.

The book has an easy flow that anyone could follow. The wording seems simple and straightforward, and the storyline seems to follow the classic recipe of success consisting of decisive moments, rising action and a climax before concluding. Given these attributes, we are speaking about a pleasant reading for most readers. In addition, I noticed some minor grammar/ spelling errors, so the book seems well edited.

Despite the strengths identified above, I disliked the fact that there is, practically, no insight into characters. Considering that the book addresses teenagers aged 14 or more, one would expect at least its central character, i.e., Jimmy, to be further explored so as for children of the same age to be able to empathize with the character. We only get to know his reactions to incidents, and we fail to see his character as a whole and in relation to his family, friends and boss, which would probably justify his reactions and would lead readers to connect emotionally with him. All other characters involved are not developed at all. In addition, the book seems a bit superficial and doesn’t pass a particular message or value. The author surely gives a bit of mystery and a glimpse of noble values of honesty and consistency, but bits and glimpses, by definition, are never enough. In general, my feeling is that the book is rushed although the story seems interesting. Given that teenage bookworms are used to longer readings with a lot more details and new worlds introduced, I think that the author should probably further process it.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for being a pleasant and straightforward reading and for having minor errors. One star was deducted because its characters and plot seem underdeveloped and because it doesn’t seem to pass any value to the point teenagers will keep it and live with it, which I find critical for children’s books addressing the particular age group.

Since the book speaks about an eighth grader that is going to be a ninth grader, it addresses young teenagers aged 14 or more. It’s an unstressed reading with a decent storyline, so, based solely on these strengths, young teenagers could give it a shot.

Splash Adventures
View: on Bookshelves
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Although the character development might not be great, I think teenagers may well enjoy it. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love the overall concept of this book. My little cousin is a young teenager (started 7th grade this year) and is an avid reader. I feel like she would love this book! Thank you for your great review!
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

The cover of this book caught my attention. I'm disappointed to see the characters were underdeveloped, but hopefully, teenagers will still enjoy it. Thank you for your honest review.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I think teenagers would love to read this book,nice review.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I agree with you about the details and the character develoment, both are imperative for tender minds. Great review! :)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the limited character development, this still seems like a nice novel that can be enjoyed by readers in their early teens. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Story of a teenager with adventure seems interesting. I surely want to read this book. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a pleasant read for teenagers. Thank you for your objective review!
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

This books seems really interesting. Thank you for your informative and insightful review!
🌻🌼
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that wording is simple and straightforward. I really thought the book would have one or more main characters around which the whole plot would unfold.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The book seems interesting, however, it's awful that the characters and plot is underdeveloped. Great review!
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

Many children are uprooted and moved to completely new environments where they struggle to fit in and make new friends. I am happy that the author provides a space for teenagers to relate to and feel understood. It is pitty about the character development. Well done on the honest and well-written review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A pity about the character development. Regardless, it sounds like a great read for children. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Flat characters sound really discouraging. Thank you very much for your honest and insightful review!

Return to “Children's Books”