Review of When I Was Young

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of When I Was Young

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When I Was Young" by Joe Estacio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I Was Young by Joe Estacio is a children’s book written in a poetic format. The author remembers and shares his time as a child when you did not have to be afraid and could enjoy playing in the park, spending time with your parents, and doing chores. A time much different from today, where both parents work, you have to worry about school shootings, pedophiles, and other dangerous people that could be living down the street from you. It is about a time when you did not have to live in fear and worry about your children’s safety.

This short book demonstrates a carefree way of living that will make children interested in hearing stories from their parents and grandparents about their childhoods. The author has included beautiful and well-designed illustrations that demonstrate what he is talking about. Young children, who are not able to read, will love looking at these illustrations. These illustrations will prod you to add some of your own stories as you are reading the book to your children. Another positive aspect is that it only takes about 15 minutes to read the book, making it a perfect bedtime story.

I did not see any negative aspects in this well-written and fast-paced book. The plot flows smoothly, and I could not wait to see what memory the author wrote about next. This book definitely took me down memory lane.

A professional editor has edited this exceptionally well-edited book. There are no errors and no reason to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to children, parents, or anyone who wants to go down memory lane to a simpler time. Although children under the age of six may have trouble with some of the words, as stated previously, they will enjoy the illustrations and having the book read to them. The family in the story goes to church and pray before going to bed, so you may want to avoid this book if you find that offensive.

When I Was Young
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"It is about a time when you did not have to live in fear and worry about your children’s safety." - oh how I yearn for these times. Today? We can't risk letting kids out of our sight. I'd like to read this one.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Mariaestrella123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mariaestrella123 »

The story tells us how is it having a complete family doing house chores eating delicious and sumptuous food and living in harmony with parents ang grandparents and most especially they are living their life with no worries because the place is so peaceful and no harmful people.
Mariaestrella123
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mariaestrella123 »

When i was younger i have to live a life much harder and experienced a lot of trials because me and my siblings had to work at a very early age just to survived and look food just to ate for a day...we really had plenty of trials as growing up,the reason is my father died so early at our young age so we have to do everything and figured out life is much harder without parents who supports your needs and their proper way of caring us as their children and also the love and guidance for us so that we grow and live life full of happiness and harm free .As for me the child who grows with love and tender cared from the parents are most likely become a good person when they grow up and has also got a nice job.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

This book reminds me of life back then while I was younger but now I just got to worry about every single thing. Adulthood comes with a lot of responsibilities so cudos to the author. He did a very good job drawing real life situations into a book for children.
Emmanuel Friday 1

Post by Emmanuel Friday 1 »

This book reminds me about life when I was a kid I remember when I use to play around with friends not thinking about responsibilities and move freely...but all that are now in the past now.bravo to the author what a lovely book it is indeed.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

The story takes one back to the memories of childhood,I find it interesting,nice review,
Abigail Baloyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Abigail Baloyi »

This book is so interesting to read for our children, especially when they go to bed I think they will have a peaceful night after hearing the story. I really love this review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Reading this review made me think about how time can fly. The memories of childhood were such enjoyable ones. Thanks for the review
Silenteyes_11_6
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silenteyes-11-6.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Silenteyes_11_6 »

It's true that generation has changed for good as well as bad. Like school shootings, pedophiles, and other dangerous people mentioned by the author but it has also brought new technology which helps in progress.
Thanks for review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Take me back to childhood, this book brings out lovely childhood memories, beautiful review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I have always loved poetry. It's a nice thing to have growing minds enlightened about things that they can possibly encounter in the future. Good review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This is the kind of book children get attached to most. I love the review.

Return to “Children's Books”