Review of Little Children, BIG Feelings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of Little Children, BIG Feelings

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Children, BIG Feelings" by Joan Ruddiman, EdD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Little Children Big Feelings is a children’s book written by Joan Ruddiman, EdD, and illustrated by Jo Ann Kairys. This colorful book helps young children put names to powerful emotions such as euphoria, disappointment, anxiety, worry, and hopefulness.

The story begins with a family preparing to go on a camping trip with Noanie and PopPop. They are excited to go, but then the father reveals that the rain may prevent them from doing so. A phone call reveals that PopPop isn’t doing well. However, Aunt Kate, who is a doctor, says that she thinks he will be fine.

This is a nicely written story with beautiful and expressive pictures. It is appropriate for children of all ages. There are exercises at the back of the book that can help children (and perhaps adults as well) to process their feelings. Being able to identify and speak about one’s emotions is an important life skill.

I believe that the story was professionally edited as I found no errors in the text. The text is easily readable against the background. The illustrations are charming and expressive, and the story has many new words for children to add to their vocabulary.

I believe that parents, grandparents, and educators will find this book useful in helping children learn to express their emotions. The story is simple enough that young readers can learn to read it to themselves.

This book lets children know that their feelings are important and helps them find nuanced ways of talking about those feelings. Sometimes just being able to let others know what is going on in their minds can help children feel more in control of their lives. Being able to put one’s feelings into words is a tool that can serve a person well for their whole life.

There was nothing that I disliked about the story. I give Little Children Big Feelings four out of four stars.

Little Children, BIG Feelings
View: on Bookshelves
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I have never seen a book that teaches children how to convey their strong feelings. This review is very beautifully written. Thank you for your review!
justine joyce S
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by justine joyce S »

This is a great book for children who does'nt know how to convey about their feelings, kudos to the writter good job.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Children's feelings are one important aspect of their growth and I'm glad I found a book on this. Your review was insightful I must say. Thank you.
Crimson Crucifix
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crimson-crucifix.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Crimson Crucifix »

Children not being able to express their feelings could indeed turn out disastrous. Them having a relaxed mind is good for their growth and well-being. The review was a nice piece of work too.
Borabogolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-borabogolo.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Borabogolo »

I somehow feel so attached to the storyline. It's a great book for this generation, the narrative depicited how important it is for children to learn and be trained to express themselves . What a wonderful review indeed.
Borabogolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-borabogolo.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Borabogolo »

I somehow feel so attached to the storyline. It's a great book for this generation, the narrative depicited how important it is for children to learn and be trained to express themselves . What a wonderful review indeed.
Emmanuel Y

Post by Emmanuel Y »

I think this book is good for children of all ages and I like the way the author writes about how children convey their emotions. I had terrible childhood and I don't want any child to be a victim. Nice and open review for all. Well done
James Alfred 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by James Alfred 1 »

It's a nice book that teach younger ages how to control and manage their emotions like, hopefulness, anxiety, worries and lots more. Very interesting and beautiful write ups. I love it ❤️
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Given, how frustrated little ones can be when they can't express themselves, I'd say this is a necessary book. I like that it has colourful graphics and a story to give examples which helps young readers identify their feelings. I also like the activities at the back which brings a more practical aspect to the book. Thank you for the wonderful review. Have a lovely day.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

This book is a must read for all children, because it teaches them to be expressive about their feelings, rather than bottling them up. Adults often overlook how much of an impact their small and apparently normal decisions can have on children, which leads to negative feelings inside them. In such scenarios, children must be brave enough to express their feelings upfront.
Arembi Mulyalya

Post by Arembi Mulyalya »

Children feelings are a major perspective of their life, the way a child is able and free to express how they feel.The book is generally good in regards to that perspective.

Return to “Children's Books”