Review of Alex and the Amazing Catventures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of Alex and the Amazing Catventures

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alex and the Amazing Catventures" by Pavel Cerny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six-year-old Alex is an only child. One day, Alex’s father comes across a stray kitten in a box by the door of a department store and adopts it. Alex gives the nickname of Bim to the white Angora cat. Alex and Bim are sent to Alex's grandmother's house for the holidays until the birth of Alex's new brother/sister. To his astonishment, Alex discovers that Bim can talk to him. Deriving comfort in Bim, Alex comes to terms with the arrival of his sibling.

Alex and the Amazing Catventures by Pavel Cerny is a story of the bonding between Alex and Bim that introduces first-time-pet-ownership and the responsibilities that come with it. It also addresses the troubled thoughts of an older sibling on accepting a new sibling. Readers who have recently lost a pet may want to seek a different book. However, for those thinking about getting a pet, this story can be an efficient way to discuss how to handle them with kids.

The story moves briskly, and the text is easy to read with a few challenging words like pneumonia that the kids could naturally learn. The exuberant illustrations with soft edges bring the story to life beautifully. The endearing tale coupled with engaging visual elements is sure to keep the attention of the children.

The book comes divided into chapters with long text that could be hard for kids depending on their reading ability. However, it can be enjoyable to read aloud together. It additionally includes some witty rhymes that could be an excellent introduction to poetry for 6-7-year-old children to read themselves. As an adult, I enjoyed the story too.

I assign Alex and the Amazing Catventures 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is perfect; I did not find any grammatical errors. There is nothing that I dislike about the book. It is sure to appeal to young animal lovers, particularly feline enthusiasts.

Alex and the Amazing Catventures is a good read for anyone who wants to help their children develop a connection to and love for animals. Children with little siblings can also relate to this book. I would specifically recommend it to six-year-old kids because of character relatability.

Alex and the Amazing Catventures
View: on Bookshelves
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This appears to be a sweet and amazing book. The bond shared by Alex and Bim seemed so endearing, and I want to read about Alex's predicament with his new sibling. Thanks for your thorough review.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

The exuberant illustrations with soft edges would bring the story to life beautifully. I have always thought that children's books should be filled with eye-catchy illustrations and this one checks that box. Thanks for the review.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

As this book is about pet I'm definitely gonna love it. The plot sounds so sweet and innocent as Alex is only 6 with pet cat. I love animals and believe that they can talk in there own languages. They clearly understand things and successfully make us to understand what they want. I'm gonna try to pick this book soon. Thank you for the beautiful review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 11:03 This appears to be a sweet and amazing book. The bond shared by Alex and Bim seemed so endearing, and I want to read about Alex's predicament with his new sibling. Thanks for your thorough review.
Thanks for stopping by Ruchi!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Emily_Jen wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 13:27 The exuberant illustrations with soft edges would bring the story to life beautifully. I have always thought that children's books should be filled with eye-catchy illustrations and this one checks that box. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by @Emily_Jen !
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

As a kid, my parents didn't let me get a pet (except for a fish at one point but that doesn't count); I feel like this book could be a close second as I could live vicariously through the characters haha.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 13:43 As this book is about pet I'm definitely gonna love it. The plot sounds so sweet and innocent as Alex is only 6 with pet cat. I love animals and believe that they can talk in there own languages. They clearly understand things and successfully make us to understand what they want. I'm gonna try to pick this book soon. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Animals are definitely amazing. Thanks for stopping by Urvashi!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Benaron wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 20:08 As a kid, my parents didn't let me get a pet (except for a fish at one point but that doesn't count); I feel like this book could be a close second as I could live vicariously through the characters haha.
😊
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. Good job!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Mtibza eM wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 10:58 Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. Good job!
Thank you!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The mere play on words in the title of the book is enough for my sympathies. Thanks for the good review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

markodim721 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 13:17 The mere play on words in the title of the book is enough for my sympathies. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This story seems cute. I’d enjoy reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 07:15 This story seems cute. I’d enjoy reading this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
You're welcome @Honest-reviewer 🙂!

Return to “Children's Books”