Review of I'm Not Afraid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review of I'm Not Afraid

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Not Afraid" by Raya.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you have a basement in your house as a child? Do you remember peering down the darkened stairs, too short to reach the light switch, and shuddering in fear of what…or who…might be down there waiting to get you and gobble you up? In I’m Not Afraid, by Raya, Shelly Fox knows exactly what that feels like.

Shelly’s favorite red ball has bounced down the basement stairs and into the gloom where the monsters live. She tries to retrieve it herself, bravely chanting, “I am not afraid,” as she tiptoes down the first stair…then the second. But by the third stair, she is overwhelmed by fright. Crying, she runs to hide in the living room, still trying to convince herself that she is not afraid. With a little imagination and ingenuity, Shelly’s Dad will teach her that there’s a little superhero inside us all. Will it be enough to help her get her beloved ball back?

There is much to love about this book. The illustrations are (for the most part) bright and cheerful – a surefire way to catch a child’s attention. That said, the illustrator also did a fantastic job of contrasting light and shadows to catch the emotions being felt at any given moment. For example, when Shelly is peering down into the basement, the illustrator uses jagged shadows to indicate her fear. Behind her, where safety lies, is a beautiful, calming blue. The ‘monsters’ lie in shadow with (somewhat hilarious) ‘threatening’ expressions on their fuzzy faces. There is also a wonderful match between the author’s story and the expressions on each main character’s face. Clearly, the author and the illustrator worked closely together.

Honestly, I found little to dislike about this book. I did have the passing thought that some of today’s children, with our focus on technology and flashlights on our phones, might have trouble relating to Shelly’s problem. After all, you can just ask Alexa (or Google) to turn on the light. However, I think the basic message of being afraid of the dark unknown will still resonate with most children today.

Aside from finding two minor errors, there were no problems with the narrative at all. Overall, for the excellent melding of writing and illustration, as well as the underlying message that we all have strength hidden within us, I rate the book a resounding 4 out of 4 stars. Although the book is officially recommended for ages six through ten, I believe that children as young as three would enjoy and learn from the book if it is read with an adult.

I'm Not Afraid
View: on Bookshelves
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow a sweet fun book. There is always a monster at the dark tunnel, what we believed as kids, which remembered now makes me laugh. Interesting review, kids will really enjoy the book because it will kill that fear.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

It reminded me of my childhood and "monsters of the dark" :D Really sweet story. Your review is very nice. Would recommend this book for my niece. :)
mohamed elshemi
Currently Reading: Magic Blue Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by mohamed elshemi »

In the past, fear, darkness, and imagination were difficult for children
But now children are not afraid of anything
They have courage and adventure due to the presence of modern technology
Thank you
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"Did you have a basement in your house as a child? Do you remember peering down the darkened stairs, too short to reach the light switch, and shuddering in fear of what…or who…might be down there waiting to get you and gobble you up?" Yes, I had that feeling. This is going to be an interesting one. Thank you for the introduction.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

It seems like an interesting and fun book! As someone that was really afraid of the dark as I child, I definitely get the book. Thanks for the great review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Will Shelly's dad's be enough to help Shelly get her beloved ball back? I look forward to finding out. Nice review.
_Shalada_kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by _Shalada_kay »

Amazing! so despite the fear of darkness when we are young its important to know that we can still face darkness with courage to achieve our goals.
Will definitely recommend this to my 3 year old😀.Nice review
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

this is very very cutesie!! Tbh, when i first read the summary, i thought to myself, “wow this is really dark for a children’s book” but it turn out to be a very useful for kids in my opinion. It teaches kids to be brave during any scary circumstance.
Liveyb
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liveyb »

Awesome. Although a dark story at the end kids learn that it's okay to be scared but also to know that you'll get through it and end up stronger and more confident. Love it!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Good illustrations always make up half a children's book. I think it's great that the book teaches children important life lessons.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a really cute book. Great review!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The foxes are smart, they are cleaver. The don't afraid darkness. The review goes beyond excellent. The stories of foxes are enthusiastic, children will love it.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

What a wonderful idea for a children's story. Reminds me a little bit of Franklin is afraid of the dark. Except this way she has to face her fear of the dark instead of finding the solution of the light. I think some children might find it hard to relate. You are right, we live in a world with smart phones and smart houses. At the same time, I think the main message of a the superhero to help face your fears is a good one. Thank you for the informative review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

Children have very sharp imaginations that cause their fear. I can relate to this story. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Children's Books”