Review of My Doctor Looks Like Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Re: Review of My Doctor Looks Like Me

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Nqobile771 wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 01:23 Representation matters so much! When kids see people who look like them in positions they aspire to occupy, it makes them see that IT IS POSSIBLE and motivates them to dream big. Lovely book, awesome review!
Genuine representation is soooo important! Celine definitely aspired to be all that she could be after meeting this “grown-up” version of herself. It was such a motivating and inclusive story! Thanks for coming by to check it out! 🩺
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

I loved how this book came from the author's personal experience. If this book was introduced to me when I was young, I know that I can relate to Celine.
AvidBibliophile

Hannah Fabro wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 20:53 I loved how this book came from the author's personal experience. If this book was introduced to me when I was young, I know that I can relate to Celine.
I think the author’s personal experience with a similar situation was precisely the thing that made this book so relatable! Celine represents and embodies the small child in all of us, the child that’s just looking for a place to belong. Thank you so much for your positive feedback and comment!
Jevontague
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jevontague »

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! Empowering representation is so important and truly matters to our young children's developing perspectives of themselves and life around them. Thank you for also mentioning the other books in the series! I will consider adding these to my classroom library at my school. Thank you again!
AvidBibliophile

Jevontague wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 02:45 Thank you so much for your fantastic review! Empowering representation is so important and truly matters to our young children's developing perspectives of themselves and life around them. Thank you for also mentioning the other books in the series! I will consider adding these to my classroom library at my school. Thank you again!
I greatly appreciate your enthusiastic feedback and support!! I fully agree that it’s essential to introduce kids to examples of empowering representation when they’re still at a young age. Series like these are hugely impactful in the long run, and I think they simultaneously provide awareness AND encouragement to developing young minds! 💯
Eluan Robert
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eluan-robert.html
Latest Review: Stupid Divorce by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Eluan Robert »

Seeing it from the child's perspective, it's really great when you meet someone you believe understands you and can relate with you well
AvidBibliophile

Eluan Robert wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 13:48 Seeing it from the child's perspective, it's really great when you meet someone you believe understands you and can relate with you well
Most definitely! Feeling embraced, seen, heard, supported, and understood makes a world of difference in any child’s life. I’m glad books like this exist for just that reason. Thank you for reading and commenting! 🥼
Ashabe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashabe »

Being a child with a dream you are not sure of is one thing but being mocked about your dream by your friends is just heartbreaking. The fact that Celine still pushed herself forward even though she was debating with herself, is honestly quite courageous and empowering for a child to not give up on their dreams
AvidBibliophile

Ashabe wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 13:10 Being a child with a dream you are not sure of is one thing but being mocked about your dream by your friends is just heartbreaking. The fact that Celine still pushed herself forward even though she was debating with herself, is honestly quite courageous and empowering for a child to not give up on their dreams
You bring up an excellent point because not every child is strong enough to overcome the ridicule of their own peers and discouraging surroundings. Celine was such a bright light of optimism and hopeful positivity, so she luckily had all the internal tools necessary to achieve great things, regardless of what others predicted. This is a great book series full of meaningful moments!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Thanks for the in-depth review! This book is a will motivate the children aspiring to do something big in their lives, and urge the non-aspiring children to start aspiring for a big goal. Amazing illustrations add much more value to the book, as they help children to visualize their dreams and goals.
AvidBibliophile

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 10:41 Thanks for the in-depth review! This book is a will motivate the children aspiring to do something big in their lives, and urge the non-aspiring children to start aspiring for a big goal. Amazing illustrations add much more value to the book, as they help children to visualize their dreams and goals.
The illustrations were so lovely and detail-oriented, and the main characters were such an inspiration throughout! Thank you for recognizing the motivational message that exists here, as all children deserve the chance to limitlessly aspire! I appreciate your kind feedback. 🥼

Return to “Children's Books”