Review of My Doctor Looks Like Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of My Doctor Looks Like Me

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Doctor Looks Like Me" by Emily Woolcock, M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a little girl named Celine wakes up achy and feverish with a sore throat, her mom decides that she’ll need to go see a doctor. Celine has always dreamed of someday becoming a doctor herself, but despite her excellent grades and studious determination, she feels discouraged. She realizes that she doesn’t know of any other doctors that have come from her own neighborhood. She worries that maybe she isn’t enough. Her friends laugh at her future career goals and tell her she is dreaming. When a chance appointment with a different pediatrician brings a never-before-seen doctor into her exam room, Celine feels an instant connection. For once in her life, she feels legitimately seen, heard, and truly understood by her physician, and through that positive experience, she finds the courage she needs to think about seriously pursuing her dreams of someday wearing a white coat, too.

My Doctor Looks Like Me is an inspiring children’s book by Emily D. Woolcock, M.D. The author was inspired to write the story after experiencing some similar emotions as a child, and this is the first book in Dr. Woolcock’s My Doctor Looks Like Me series, a series that realistically explores why meaningful representation matters. The second book in the series features a boy named Sebastian who meets a male physician with a similar skin tone, and the third book (written in Spanish) features a little boy named Carlos.

As a fellow female physician, I fully stand behind Dr. Woolcock’s mission to educate, mentor, and inform. Most physicians conscientiously seek to provide meaningful, quality care for all residents that reside within the communities they serve. In turn, those residents are vastly more inclined to seek treatment from healthcare providers that look like them. For that reason, treatment teams should resemble their assigned patient populations whenever possible. Reflective representation needs to be present throughout all hospitals, county clinics, community outreach programs, and private practices.

All illustrations in this 25-page book were provided by Sanjay Vijayaverl, and they effectively provided vibrantly accurate depictions that fully complemented the accompanying text. I encountered vision charts, anatomy posters, and chest x-rays, and the characters exhibited believable facial expressions. I did also come across some inclusive mentions of apartment living and public transportation, and those were some of the aspects I enjoyed the most because they realistically portrayed Celine’s daily life, routine, and environment. The terminology was also never overly complex.

I did come across several small errors while reading, but all of the grammatical and typographical errors I encountered were either missing commas or inconsistencies with verb tenses. I also came across an odd blend of recognized writing styles, so I feel that’s an aspect worth notably mentioning. While the majority of the book followed American grammar rules for quotation marks and word spellings, it followed British grammar rules for punctuation placement around quotation marks.

All children must embrace a healthy desire to accept those around them, but when self-doubt begins to corrode a growing child’s self-esteem, it can leave permanent and lasting effects. When little humans are shown how to shift their perspectives and expectations, they can equip themselves with the power and self-belief they need to fully succeed, both personally and professionally, as their lives progress.

Due to the issues with shifting verb tenses, layered writing styles, and missing commas, I can only award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I do hope that this publication will undergo a quick revision that corrects and addresses those issues because it deserves to truly shine. Those were the only aspects of the book that I disliked. I feel that this story would be appropriate for young readers between the ages of 5 and 9, and I would encouragingly recommend it to children of all races and nationalities. It contains a wonderful message of inspirational encouragement!

Kids are an integral part of this planet’s future, and a healthy society requires equal representation throughout all career sectors. For healthcare to ever be an all-inclusive experience, members of the medical community must reflectively represent the patients they treat. Efforts must be made to repair the trust that has become deeply tested over time, and that is done by providing quality care to every person, every time – regardless of gender or race.

My Doctor Looks Like Me
View: on Bookshelves
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This story reminds me of Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon for children.
Everything written in your review is awesome.
This sounds inspiring and motivational book for kids who aspire to become what they desire to be.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

Sounds like a wonderful story that will not only inspire Celine but many other children to become what they want to be despite the obstacles in their way. Just to see that someone who “looks like me” is able to do it might be all they need to try to achieve their goal.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I have met doctors of many different races, nationalities, and skin tones, so I'm sure that the medical field is diverse. But I do understand your point that sometimes patients would prefer to be treated by someone who they can relate to. Yet, we shouldn't let our outward appearances divide us. Quality medical care for all is the goal.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinions of this story.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Feeling a connection with your physician is crucial for good healthcare. The author had a great idea to introduce these ideas to young children. Lovely review!
AvidBibliophile

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 03:58 This story reminds me of Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon for children.
Everything written in your review is awesome.
This sounds inspiring and motivational book for kids who aspire to become what they desire to be.
Thank you for your sweet words. It’s an inspiring and motivational tale in every way, and it’s part of a very meaningful series that will hopefully help many! 💙
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 09:53 Sounds like a wonderful story that will not only inspire Celine but many other children to become what they want to be despite the obstacles in their way. Just to see that someone who “looks like me” is able to do it might be all they need to try to achieve their goal.
I hope many children get the chance to read this book because every child deserves to feel seen, heard, and empowered to chase their dreams. Thank you! 🔬
AvidBibliophile

Josephe-Anne wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 20:36 I have met doctors of many different races, nationalities, and skin tones, so I'm sure that the medical field is diverse. But I do understand your point that sometimes patients would prefer to be treated by someone who they can relate to. Yet, we shouldn't let our outward appearances divide us. Quality medical care for all is the goal.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinions of this story.
😊
Quality and affordable medical care for all should definitely be our ultimate and attainable goal. Throughout med school, rotations, and residency, I definitely worked alongside many physicians that proudly represented underserved cultures and communities, but there was still a large divide at times. I hope that this country can continue to embrace and promote diversity throughout all medical sectors. Thank you for the kind comments of understanding and support! 🩺
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:44 Feeling a connection with your physician is crucial for good healthcare. The author had a great idea to introduce these ideas to young children. Lovely review!
Most definitely! That trusting and open connection makes a world of difference when it comes to accurate diagnoses, treatment plans, and favorable outcomes. This author has penned a very important series for kids, and I hope scores of little, young minds will have the opportunity to benefit from exposure to positive publications like this one. Thank you! 🩹
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It feels more familiar when you see someone who looks like you. And it really is a positive for kids who dream to be in a field and meet people like them. A confidence booster and it also give a doable feeling. Thank you for a fantastic review!
AvidBibliophile

Kavita Shah wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 13:00 It feels more familiar when you see someone who looks like you. And it really is a positive for kids who dream to be in a field and meet people like them. A confidence booster and it also give a doable feeling. Thank you for a fantastic review!
Oh for sure, and that familiarity creates a sense of ease that immediately streamlines the entire experience for everyone involved. This story is a confidence booster in every way! Thank you for the sweet words! 💫
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

It is important for children to feel seen and heard, especially with their primary care physician. They need to be to establish a trust bond in case they ever need to confide something to their doctor. There is much diversity in the medical field, but children do not always get a chance to see that, so it is good that the author has brought it to their attention. Thank you for a fantastic review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
AvidBibliophile

cd20 wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 17:26 It is important for children to feel seen and heard, especially with their primary care physician. They need to be to establish a trust bond in case they ever need to confide something to their doctor. There is much diversity in the medical field, but children do not always get a chance to see that, so it is good that the author has brought it to their attention. Thank you for a fantastic review.
In this book, Celine felt so much anxious trepidation about going to the doctor. She knew she was feeling sick, but she dreaded seeing her usual pediatrician. Once her newly assigned physician walked into the treatment room, her whole world opened up, and that encounter changed not only her day, but also the rest of her life. For every little kid out there who feels different and alone, I hope they someday get the chance to have a positive experience like this one! Thank you for leaving your sweet comment of understanding! 🧬
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book is quite inspiring and motivational. This will serve as a guide and children can draw strength in the storyline, which will propel them to dream big and bearing in mind that their dream is achievable. Thanks for an insightful review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I love this concept! I really hope the editing mistakes are fixed soon because I think a lot of kids (and even older minority aspiring healthcare providers) can be encouraged by the message here. I'm going to consider getting this book for myself! Thanks for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”