Official Review: Hugh’s Little Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Official Review: Hugh’s Little Baker

Post by joynob24365 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hugh’s Little Baker" by Molly Alexander.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bethany looks up to her father, Hugh, who is arguably the best baker on the island. She spends countless of time learning how to bake with him. As Christmas Eve was fast approaching, they were busier than ever, preparing sweet treats. This year, they had much more pressure than the other years because rumor had it that the new governor general was visiting the island to choose a baker for her wedding cake. Bethany was very excited for her father to get the task.

However, when they picked her father's rival, Baker Penner, the young girl was devastated. But, her father didn't seem to be disappointed. Bethany is even more in shock when Mr. Penner himself came to their house and asked her mother if she could help him with the cake. A while after her mother leaves the house to give him her service, Bethany decides to go there too.

I liked this book. It teaches to help others, even if they are your so-called rival. It also shows to accept defeat and be happy for the winner. I also liked the Caribbean representation it had.

The storyline is clear and captivating, but the beginning of this story is not. At least, not enough for young children. It starts with dialogues. I find that great on other books, but it might be a bit confusing for kids. The author should've started the story by giving context on Bethany and her life as a future baker. Also, the book didn't clarify why the governor general chose Penner over Hugh, even after declaring that his treats were very delicious.

I give Hugh's Little Baker by Molly Alexander 3 out of 4 stars. I have noticed two punctuation mistakes in this book. I enjoyed reading it. I don't have a specific audience to who I would recommend this, but anyone can read this story. I do wish it had a little more pages of illustration, though. I think that eight pages aren't enough.

Hugh’s Little Baker
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like an adorable story and great for coping with a rival getting something you wanted, like you said. Great review
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Such a nice and cute storyline. This book exudes such a festive vibe, and the illustrations are too good. Cheers!

Return to “Children's Books”