Official Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Become A Covid-19 Superhero" by Sheryl Crawford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Sheryl Crawford, Become A Covid-19 Superhero explains coronavirus prevention to young children using amiable cartoon superheroes.

A team of four young superheroes explains basic tips for preventing the spread of the disease. The information is accurately presented and follows the Center for Disease Control guidelines: wearing a mask, cleaning your hands, and social distancing. When needed, the author goes into details. For instance, singing “Happy Birthday” while handwashing, sneezing into the arms (not the hands), and proper usage of hand sanitizers.

My favorite part is what Crawford does next; amidst all the obvious tips, she informs her audience about homemade cloth masks. From a child’s perspective, a begrudging task becomes an exciting craft project. This small—but powerful—message might help shake off any covid-fatigue in children; of course, sewing masks isn’t a cure, but it can be fun! Also, the accompanying illustration showed all the materials: a sewing machine, vibrant rolls of fabric, and different styles of masks.

The author describes some symptoms of COVID-19 and didn’t shy back when showing a sick child in bed (without it being terrifying). The picture demystified the idea that young people cannot contract the virus. It is probably the most important (and positive) aspect of this little guide.

In the beginning, young readers are encouraged to become “virus-fighting superheroes”. This message of empowerment is another positive aspect; especially if you consider all the negativity surrounding the disease. Crawford’s story gives a sense of accomplishment after every handwash.

The protagonists are carefully depicted to reach as many demographics as possible. First, they are relatable to their target audience; an adult protagonist might come off too authoritative. Second, they are culturally and ethnically diverse: African American, Caucasian, Latino, and Asian.

There appeared to be two boys and two girls. I appreciated their gender-neutral uniforms: a red cape, a red shirt, and knee-high boots over black pants. Caregivers concerned with gender stereotypes might also appreciate this feature. This team of superheroes has one purpose—to fight the COVID-19 virus.

The full-page illustrations were flamboyant, detailed, and appealing. The “covid-squad” outfits were branded with an icon for each tip: a mask, a spray bottle, a soap bar, and social-distancing.

The only negative point is the different spellings of the word “Covid-19”. The acronym should be written in uppercase (COVID-19). After intense research, I found that even the media seemed to relax this “grammatical covid war”; it’s become a new sort of covid-fatigue. In any case, I didn’t dock a star for that. For the reasons stated above, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book for children who seem anxious about COVID-19; the friendly characters might calm them. Adults might want to assist younger readers with some of the vocabulary. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a “sight word” book.

Become A Covid-19 Superhero
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Great way to teach kids healthy habits. Making masks will be a fun activity as the superheroes teach them. I get a Special Agent Oso feel from this. Thank you for an informative review!
Mark Smarter
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mark Smarter »

This sounds great as the coming generation would have to know the safety of habit on how to be apply healthy habits..and be a super hero great review
Daryl Basmayor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daryl Basmayor »

Very timely but suitable for the kids out there. A great help to teach students all the whatnots about the pandemic.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds like a cute book that will help kids better understand the pandemic and how to keep safe. A lot of the information we get about Covid is targeted at adults, so I’m glad the author has created this resource for children to learn. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow the author wrote this book at the right time when the whole world is under lockdown due to corona. I believe this book is not only suitable to the juniors but even to us as adults
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It sounds like the author did a great job explaining the situation and making it so the children can understand and won’t be terrified of the disease. Thanks for sharing!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

This book appears to have been well-researched. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 04 May 2021, 00:28 Great way to teach kids healthy habits. Making masks will be a fun activity as the superheroes teach them. I get a Special Agent Oso feel from this. Thank you for an informative review!
:lol: I had to look up Special Agent Oso :D Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

REIGNING20 wrote: 06 May 2021, 02:44 This book appears to have been well-researched. Thanks for the review.
I thought so too. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Booklover Becca wrote: 05 May 2021, 08:24 It sounds like the author did a great job explaining the situation and making it so the children can understand and won’t be terrified of the disease. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, I am gifting it to my nieces. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 05 May 2021, 06:21 Wow the author wrote this book at the right time when the whole world is under lockdown due to corona. I believe this book is not only suitable to the juniors but even to us as adults
Gives something to do during lockdown. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

maggi3 wrote: 05 May 2021, 01:00 This sounds like a cute book that will help kids better understand the pandemic and how to keep safe. A lot of the information we get about Covid is targeted at adults, so I’m glad the author has created this resource for children to learn. Thanks for the review!
I was pleased that this is a covid theme for children. Thanks for stopping by.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Daryl Basmayor wrote: 04 May 2021, 08:29 Very timely but suitable for the kids out there. A great help to teach students all the whatnots about the pandemic.
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for your comment
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Mark Smarter wrote: 04 May 2021, 03:16 This sounds great as the coming generation would have to know the safety of habit on how to be apply healthy habits..and be a super hero great review
Healthy habits can go a long way! Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Children's Books”