Official Review: The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Official Review: The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus" by B. E. Nyce.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus is a thought-provoking children’s book by B. E. Nyce. The book takes the reader into the life of Pfreddy, a fetus, who has been told by his mom about her plans for an abortion. Pfreddy has to watch his hopes of becoming a human go down the drain if abortion is suggested when his mother visits Planned Parenthood.

As a fetus, Pfreddy was lucky to be granted a wish by a Fairy God-Fetus. His initial wish for an extra hundred wishes was denied, so the Fairy God-Fetus decided to offer him the ability to communicate with humans. After the Fairy God-Fetus granted Pfreddy the wish, he began to communicate with his mom. During Preddy’s interaction with his mom, his optimism and enthusiasm for becoming a human being were shattered after his mom opened up to him and told him about her plans for an abortion. She was at the start of her career and didn’t want extra responsibilities. What would be Pfreddy’s fate?

For a book tagged as a children’s book, this narrative contains an important social issue it hampers on, the issue of abortion. The readers get an idea of what it could feel like to watch one’s life get terminated solely because the parent(s) of the fetus didn’t feel like having the baby. I liked how the author presented Pfreddy to be astute and curious even as a fetus. Pfreddy questioned if the judges at the Supreme Court were credible enough to pass laws on abortion. He expected only people with doctorates in medicine to have such power.

Illustrations were used in the book to make the story more interactive. The pictures were such that a reader could see the fetuses right inside the womb of their mothers. I bet children would enjoy the book because of this. This narrative isn’t only suitable for kids as adults could learn from the case study of the social problem presented here. I would recommend the book to kids of all ages and adults, especially pregnant women who might find themselves in a similar position as Pfreddy’s mom.

I would rate The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus 4 out of 4 stars because it’s an engaging read. I found only a single error, so I can say the book is professionally edited. There isn’t anything that I dislike about the book, and I hope that everyone who reads it would find the story equally pleasing.

The Adventures of Pfreddy the Fetus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

I saw the title and went, "Wow what a provocative book cover, can be triggering for some people." But, I thought it was some funny book. Now that I have read your review, I am like, "Nope not for me." Clearly steering away from it.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I am not sure whether this controversial topic is the best subject for a children's book.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a weird approach, and the Fairy God-Fetus seems kind of creepy. But I trust your recommendation and opinion about the book. Great review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I like that the book offers a sensitization on abortion issues. Great review, thanks.

Return to “Children's Books”