Official Review: A long way home by Steve polak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: A long way home by Steve polak

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A long way home" by Steve polak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Long Way Home (A Storytime Book for Little Ears) is an adorable children's book written by Steve Polak to "explain coming home late from work to his children." The story follows Daddy as he completes his work and hopes to make it back home in time before the children go to bed. On his way home, his car breaks down, and he wonders how he will timely make the long distance to get home. He is up against a difficult situation, but he gets to meet Mr. Chicken, Mr. Elephant, and Mr. Cheetah, among others, who offer him solutions to achieve his aim. Will these solutions be enough to help Daddy get home before the children go to bed?

This was quite a fun read. The premise of the main character experiencing difficulty getting home to his children will ensure that the target audience is engaged and will root for him throughout. Like the author aims to achieve, there is also the added advantage of employing this story as a light-hearted explanation to children for keeping late nights at work.

The story also passed the underlying message of not giving up in difficult situations and facing them gracefully. The main character suffered a setback on his journey, but he continued to look around for solutions and try different options. He never complained about things not falling into place for him when something he tried did not work out; he was determined and focused on achieving his aim. This was my favorite feature of the book, and children will definitely pick up on this aspect.

Throughout the story, we meet different animals too. Every animal encountered is properly illustrated colorfully, which is another aspect of the book that children will love. They will also get to learn about what these animals look like and be able to identify them after reading the book.

With respect to editing, I found a couple of errors while reading. At just 16 pages, there is not much text in the book, so I did not expect to see any errors. I enjoyed the book overall, and while I found some errors, I feel that they can easily be corrected and do not take away from the fun and message. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four stars. Children between the ages of one and seven will enjoy this book.

A long way home
View: on Bookshelves
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Been very busy at work lately and iv been reading shorter books and I’m very intrigued by this one
Id also like to know how daddy got home
Wonderful!
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

What a wonderful book to use when trying to get your little one to learn about animals. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”