Official Review: Space Pup by Elliott Lipinsky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Official Review: Space Pup by Elliott Lipinsky

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Space Pup" by Elliott Lipinsky.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Space Pup, by Elliott Lipinsky is a comic book about space written for children. Commander Elrod Cannon is on a mission to the moon to collect moon rocks. He’s in for a big surprise when he finds a dog on the moon instead. Will he fulfill his mission to collect the moon rocks? Or will the dog be a distraction?

What I enjoyed most about the book was the subtle humor in it. For example, when Elrod finds out the mysterious dog eats plastic, he jokes about having to hide his Tupperware. Or, in a manual about the moon Elrod reads the table of contents includes “rocks,” “more rocks,” and “specialty rocks” as chapter titles, implying most of the moon is rocks. As an adult, those tiny details were amusing.

What I liked least about the book was how simple the plot was. Not a whole lot actually happened. It was just one small thing after another, with no character development or anything at all. Even though it was written for children, I felt like it needed more substance.

I would say this book was written for elementary school aged kids, based on the plot and storyline, but I also feel like a lot would go over a child’s head, like the humor I mentioned earlier. The humor might make it more enjoyable for an adult to read the book to a child, though it would be hard to read a comic book out loud since a lot of it is pictures. Some of the vocabulary was a little advanced such as Elrod being referred to as an “intrepid hero.” I doubt most children would know what the definition of intrepid is.

I would rate Space Pup 2 out of 4 stars. I can’t give it any higher because of the lack of substance. However, I wouldn’t give it any lower because I did enjoy looking at the pictures and the book was professionally edited.

Space Pup wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever read, but kids who like space may enjoy it. It’s written in a way that’s set up for a sequel, as well, so maybe the stories will get better!

Space Pup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

Any individual who enjoys space should definitely read this book. You got a nice review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I love the idea behind this comic book, and with a little substance added, this can be a great story that kids will enjoy. Thanks for the insightful review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The mysterious dog eating plastic is intriguing. It makes me wonder if it is hinting at environmental or waste management issues. Thanks for the honest review.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I was expecting more from the book because of the inviting title but it is saddening to find out there is no substance to the book. Thank you for the review though.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The idea of a space pup is quite unique and fascinating, but lack of storyline leaves this book at a lower rating. I think if some effort goes into content writing, this can certainly be a 4 star rating book.

Return to “Children's Books”