Official Review: Grandma's Adventures Before Dentures A F...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: Grandma's Adventures Before Dentures A F...

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grandma's Adventures Before Dentures A Family Series Starring Doug The Pug" by Fynn Stevenson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grandma's Adventures Before Dentures A Family Series Starring Doug The Pug by Fynn Stevenson is a captivating children's book. It stars a grandma who tries to think up possible solutions to her grandkids' problems and a dog named Doug who attempts to put these solutions to use. Will this partnership yield the intended results?

This book will capture the attention of any child who reads it. Almost every page has an attractive, colorful illustration, which can trigger a child's imaginative power. The illustrations are so detailed and eye-catching that children can tell what the story on a particular page is about from merely looking at them. Even as an adult, I practically flowed with the book through the illustrations.

The story is written in such a creative and simple manner yet detailed. The storyline is interesting, and children can easily relate to the events in the book.

The only concern I had was that some of the words used in the book were ambiguous. These words include "gloomily," "stirred," " scoundrels," and "astonishment." Most children would need an adult or teacher to explain these words before they would understand. But this wasn't enough to condemn the book, as it was such a fine work of art. Moreover, the ambiguous words were minimal.

The book was professionally edited, as there was only one error I noticed in it. Normally, I would expect children's books to be flawless, considering that there would be a small amount of text. However, since it was only one error I noticed, I would award the book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I thought of giving it a 3.5-star rating, but that would be violating the guidelines. This book would be suitable for children in preschools and nursery schools. However, it would be best read to them by an adult, considering the few ambiguous words in the book.

Grandma's Adventures Before Dentures A Family Series Starring Doug The Pug
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for your review! This sounds lovely. I am sure children would like it. I also think it would help them learn an extra word or two.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

thanks for your analytical review. Though, i'm not a fan of children books. But i'm considering grasping an opportunity to review one.
lswland62
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Abbott Green
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 216335

Post by lswland62 »

"Gloomily," "stirred," " scoundrels," and "astonishment" did not seem to be ambiguous at all; perhaps a bit "ambitious" for a young reader of limited reading experience, but hardly ambiguous, as that word means "open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning."
Chinma1026
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Chinma1026 »

Thanks for the review,the book will actually help little children get to learn new words and it will really be understood by them since it's a realistic book
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

That's a catchy title right there!
The words themselves make me feel excited to read the story.
It's the first book that caught my attention while I was looking for book discussion.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I think the title of the book is hilarious and the contents seem satisfying. Thank you for a review well done.

Return to “Children's Books”