Official Review: The Warrior in Me! by Shaquanna West

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: The Warrior in Me! by Shaquanna West

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Warrior in Me!" by Shaquanna West.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warrior in Me!, by Shaquanna West, is an illustrated poem that encourages children to the best that they can be. The leading characters are two children, who are young warriors. The book begins with an illustration of them watching the famed race between the tortoise and the hare. This image foreshadows the poem’s message.

Our warriors start their trek through a dense forest filled with friendly animals and flowing rivers. They meet other children, encounter obstacles, and fulfill small rescue missions. They also discover superpowers to help them succeed.

Finally, the climax comes as our warriors leave the forest and enter a prairie. Now, they face a bigger mission. Unlike the forest, the new characters they meet in the prairie are adults. What is this mission? Will they be able to complete it? Grab the book to find out. In the end, there is a worksheet for the readers to find their inner warrior.

Illustrated by Aljon Inertia, each image contains lots of symbolism. For example, the forest road is a metaphor for life. A waterfall reflects what the two children hope to be as adults. Also, a lion is used to represent bravery. These symbolic imageries make it easier for younger readers to interpret the poem.

My favorite aspects were the poem and the illustrations. As an avid poetry reader, I found the poem was charming with simple end rhymes. It starts with short phrases and progresses to longer sentences. The reading level is enough for a first grader to comprehend. I liked the hatching and circle strokes for texture in the illustrations. Moreover, I thought the background colors were soothing with green, blue, and brown hues. I especially enjoyed the scorpion hitching a ride atop the turtle.

I noted some punctuation issues but didn’t give it a 3-star rating. Poems ordinarily have different punctuation rules than short stories. Also, this book seemed professionally edited since there were no spelling or grammar errors. The illustrations were visually appealing, while the theme is clear and positive. As a result, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend The Warrior in Me! to anyone looking for a beginner poetry book. There was one image presenting children in soldier uniforms. Even though it was not an issue for me, some adults might not prefer any military topic in their children’s books. For those persons, I wouldn’t recommend this book. On the other hand, children with a parent in the military may identify with the characters. Hence, I would recommend this book to anyone with loved ones in the military.

The Warrior in Me!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

Wow! A lion represents bravery and a waterfall reflects what the children hope to be as adults. That is very creative of the author. Am sure many children will be inspired and love it. Thanks for the amazing review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This one sounds interesting as well as useful. Thank you for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Tarilan wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 01:32 Wow! A lion represents bravery and a waterfall reflects what the children hope to be as adults. That is very creative of the author. Am sure many children will be inspired and love it. Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book has lovely illustrations and a good lesson for young readers. I like the inclusion of the worksheet at the end of the book to reinforce the book's message. I enjoyed your description of the characters. Thanks for the fascinating recommendation!
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

With a bigger mission ahead, the young warriors have graduated from fulfilling small rescue missions and are now dealing with adults.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 00:12 This book has lovely illustrations and a good lesson for young readers. I like the inclusion of the worksheet at the end of the book to reinforce the book's message. I enjoyed your description of the characters. Thanks for the fascinating recommendation!
I liked the illustrations and worksheet too! Thanks for reading my review. :tiphat:
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Tablito wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 01:36 With a bigger mission ahead, the young warriors have graduated from fulfilling small rescue missions and are now dealing with adults.
It does sound endearing :lol: I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I admire the book's purpose, and it will undoubtedly benefit children. The same will be a lot of fun for the kids. Thanks for a wonderful review!^^
Mishy8k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mishy8k »

"warrior in me "
This book is surely splendid for kids even joining higher grades for the improved grammer. It's awesome for brain storming when the child is bored.

Return to “Children's Books”