Official Review: The Greater Understanding by Nanna Pete

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Greater Understanding by Nanna Pete

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Greater Understanding" by Nanna Pete.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Greater Understanding by Nanna Pete is a heartwarming picture book that teaches young children about responsibility, hard work, and helping others. The story features a kind farmer who loves his family, faithfully tends to his farm, and is always willing to help neighbors. Nana Pete is both the author and the illustrator.

This professionally edited book is 24 pages and traverses themes of family, kindness, responsibility, compassion, love, and helpfulness. The sweet story also educates young readers about farm life, such as the farmer's daily tasks, challenges with garden pests, care of different animals, and types of vegetables grown on the farm. The black and white illustrations complement the story and provide informative details, including the farmer's clothing and a visual layout of his vegetable garden. Pete's cute depictions of animals include raccoons, magpies, roosters, chicks, and geese.

I especially like that Pete effectively illustrates a strong work ethic and acts of kindness through the lifestyle of the farmer and his family, wisely avoiding preaching or lecturing to young readers. For instance, "The whole family was involved in harvesting, freezing, and canning the fruits and veggies to eat year round" is followed by examples of the farmer’s willingness to share with others. Children will enjoy Pete's illustrations of large footprints trailing pages as they ponder their meaning. I also appreciate Pete's reflections on generous giving, receiving with grace, and her recipe for "Honey Vanilla Banana Cake."

On the other hand, Pete's detailed illustrations are charming, but most children prefer colorful pictures. My only suggestion for improvement would be to add some color to the artwork.

It is my pleasure to rate The Greater Understanding 4 out of 4 stars. Despite my preference for colorful illustrations, the story conveys an inspirational and relevant message to young readers. I recommend it to parents, teachers, grandparents, and children through the age of 10. The picture book would also be a lovely gift for farmers and their families.

The Greater Understanding
View: on Bookshelves
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

We live in a largely entitled generation, so I like that this author is trying to take kids back to the basics of kindness, hardworking, and responsibility. It makes more sense that the author is doing it with a picture book; it helps to drive the story home for children.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This sounds like a great read to remind families to slow down and appreciate what they have. Sounds like the illustrations are as nice as the story. Sometimes a black and white illustration leaves more to the imagination which is fun for kids. Thanks for the great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book seems like a book I'd like to read to my students, many of them live in urban areas. Thanks for the great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This book has a good message to children, emphasizing kindness, work ethic, and generosity. Thanks for your review.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Effie Cherotich »

This seems to be a lovely children's book that teaches on family, kindness and love. I think it's unique for the author to use black and white images instead of the usual colourful illustrations.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The book 'The Greater Understanding' written and illustrated by Nanna Pete is an extraordinary work of fiction that has a touch of non-fiction. It aims at the inner growth and development of the personalities of the children. The book acquaints the readers with farming as a method of subsistence in the present times. Does a man's spirit of service pay in his life? What is the meaning of all humane endeavors?

Once upon a time, there lived a kind farmer in one of our familiar regions of the world. He earned his living through his occupation of farming and helped his needy neighbors alongside by freely distributing the extra farm products among them that were generated through his work. As he grew older, there came a day when he became very ill. Through the relentless service provided to him by his wife, he felt a bit healthier but unfortunately, a big storm arose. It brought heavy winds and rains for days altogether. This was not a good sign for the harvest. Will the farmer face adversity through his power of good attributes and generosity or would he be a failure in finding peace and happiness in his life?

The tale of a farmer is simple, enriching, and potent. It teaches the kids the secret of life! It encourages them to seek the wisdom that life imparts and not just the bookish knowledge! I find the book entertaining as well as instructive for the younger generation! The farm life has been portrayed in it with full potential! It includes the description of the crops, farm animals, and various activities of the household life. I like the fact that the language of the author is sublime and classic. The delicious recipes for 'Honey Banana Cake and 'The Cream Cheese Frosting' given at the end of the book are heartening for earnest readers! Another similar story that I have read is 'Fuzzy Bunny Slippers' by J. M. Verdi. It is a tale of bunnies who break into the house of a little girl to rescue the rabbits that they suppose she has kidnapped. I feel encouraged to redefine and change my priorities in life for sake of inner accomplishments after reading the book!

There is nothing that I didn't like about the book and the work of the author is close to perfect. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars due to the author's spiritual vision and outlook on the future of the youngsters in the hard and busy world of today! This is a good book for growing children over the age of 10 years who have attained a certain degree of maturity and the power of discrimination in their lives. Guardians and teachers who are keen to provide their younger ones with moral orientation may find this book useful. Also, this is a good storytime read for general readers! I found no grammatical errors in the book to the best of my knowledge of English and the author's work is flawless.

Return to “Children's Books”