Official Review: Gilby. The Unlikely Hero

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: Gilby. The Unlikely Hero

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gilby. The Unlikely Hero" by Matt Bolton Art.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gilby: The Unlikely Hero is a children’s book by Matt Bolton. Gilby lives in a world without colour. The only thing Gilby and his friends have to eat is fish that tastes of stinky feet! One day, they realise that there is no more fish to eat. What are they going to do now? Gilby sets off on an adventure to find more food.

This is a really good book. The cover of this book is adorable, but it’s not that eye-catching. This is a result of the lack of colours used. However, I understand why this had to be the case. The author’s idea of there being 2 separate worlds is a creative idea. One world is colourless, and the other is colourful. What these two worlds mean could be up to interpretation. For me, the colourless world represents an unhealthy diet and an unhealthy lifestyle. Whereas, the colourful world represents good health, which in turn results in happiness. We see this in the book when the characters become more cheerful after they’ve eaten the fruit.

I like that the text is all rhyming because it makes it more fun to read out loud. The author did a great job with the rhyming words because it all flows smoothly. Alongside the text, there are also beautiful illustrations. The illustrations tell the story themselves. I like the friendship between Gilby and his friends. Gilby’s friends are Simon the dinosaur and Eleanor the Seal. These fun characters will make children happy.

My favourite part of the book is when they were enjoying the taste of the new fruit because you can see how grateful they are to have it. This will teach children to be grateful for what they have. The main valuable lesson this book teaches children is that eating fruits and vegetables will make you healthy.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. However, words like ‘vexed’ and ‘unbeknown’ might be difficult for children to understand. Other than that, the book was great.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I only found two mistakes, so it is professionally edited. I highly recommend it to children the ages of 5-9.

Gilby. The Unlikely Hero
View: on Bookshelves
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Stinky fish in a colorless world would definitely be an unhealthy way to live! It’s nice to hear that dinosaurs, seals, friendships, and colors exist to improve the drab state of things. Thanks for your lovely review! 🦭🦕
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

After reading your review of the above book, I found that Stinky fish in a dreary world would be an undesirable lifestyle choice! It's ideal to hear that dinosaurs, seals, companionships, and shadings exist to improve the boring situation. The advice of eating Fruits and vegetables for the children is impressive.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

The book is an interesting one, especially with the author's creative and relative plot to his choice of readers. thanks for the detailed review.
Shaunee1
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Shaunee1 »

I suppose this wouldn’t be a good book to try to get kids to eat seafood!? Lol
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

Wonderful review! Thank you so much. I also like the part where they enjoying the taste of new fruit. I believe this part will encourage children to try and enjoy new fruits too.
tawongaL
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawongal.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by tawongaL »

I found myself smiling when I was reading this review. I could see myself reading the book. I think 'The Unlikely Hero' has great potential to be a best seller. Although i may not have children yet, i find myself wanting to read this book to a child.
Presha Byrd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Presha Byrd »

Does the world become colorful after Gilby finds more food? And I wonder why fish was all they had to eat? However, the story seems to have a good hero.
Sara+chi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sara+chi »

I like the review but i think that the expression associated with fish does not encourage children especially those who don't like eating fish to taste it one day.
enne_chavez
Currently Reading: The Bluff
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enne-chavez.html
Latest Review: Diamonds of Devil's Tail by A.W. Baldwin

Post by enne_chavez »

This sounds like an adorable children's book!! I would have definitely read it to my daughters when they were little! Thank you for a great review!!
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

Looks adventurous discovering the new fruits. I like children's book and in this one i would like to know more about this world with no colours.
Good job on review
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Oh I love your review! So cute and in depth. Certainly makes me want to go get it and read it to the little ones in my life. I love the creativity of the cover and many parts inside the covers as well. Lots of good lessons.
Thank you for you hard work.
FrostBytez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by FrostBytez »

Quite an interesting review! It looks quite intriguing from a child's perspective. Thank you for your efforts.
Elsie94

Post by Elsie94 »

I love the idea. It’d be great for little kids. I’d read it to my little one. I say maybe a 5+ book. Good job!
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Rhyming text, creative idea and an amazing story is perfect for children's book.
Kids love to read this kind of books.

Return to “Children's Books”