Official Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Official Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What am I" by stephen Thiele.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A fan of mind-puzzles and guessing games? What Am I by Stephen Thiele will help you sharpen your minds as you go through pages of puzzles and riddles that will help you widen your imagination. The book's aim is to "let your imagination run wild" and it does so by giving you riddles and guessing games that you and your kids (if you are a parent) can answer together. It encourages adults, especially parents, to read it to their children and tell it to them in a creative way as if relaying a story.

I like how this book can contribute to family enjoyment. It is definitely an activity that can be done as bonding by parents to their kids. I'm sure that both adults and children will have a fun and delightful time while going through the book. It also helps you widen your mind as you think of the answer to each puzzle.

However, it seems like the book wasn't thoroughly edited. I found a handful of grammatical and typographical errors that disrupted my experience of reading it. The use of the Oxford comma and punctuation marks in general also weren't clean. It would help a lot to have a smoother flow of reading if the book was professionally edited.

I would also like to commend the author for his use of rhymes in the book. It gave musicality to the lines and can add to the vibrancy when read by parents aloud. But one thing that I didn't like with the rhyming was that the words used don't really connect much to the answer to the riddle. Sometimes, the words are completely random, so some of the phrases don't make sense that much. I must say though that it can add challenge to the riddle. However, I still think it would be better and more clever if the words somehow connected to the answer.

Because of that, I am giving the book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The errors affected the flow of my reading and the usage of the words for the rhymes also confused me a bit. The book is great for family bonding though, and it will definitely help play with your imagination. I recommend this to parents who have children aged 5 to 11 years old and to kids who also love puzzle books. However, I would not recommend this to teens and adults who don't have kids as it is a book targeted to children.

What am I
View: on Bookshelves
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

My preschool class loves to read guessing books together! It sounds like this is a fun book for kids and adults to share together. Thanks for the great review.
Samana95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samana95.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Samana95 »

Bad editing and rhyming, but It does sound like a book that is aimed at children that don't really care too much for words and how they sound but just wanttt ro have fun.
Themy_1107
Currently Reading: The Cadence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themy-1107.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Themy_1107 »

I would have loved to try this book and try a few with my daughter, the bad editing kind of puts me off.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Really too bad about the bad editing otherwise I would have picked this up as a conversation starter book in my therapy practice. Thanks for the review.
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

Thank you for the thorough review! It’s a shame about the editing — more books like this should be utilized to make learning fun!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Children's Books”