Official Review: Is God BiGGer? by Jackie Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Is God BiGGer? by Jackie Robinson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Is God BiGGer?" by Jackie Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ryan learns about God in Sunday school, and as he explores the neighborhood with his mother, he asks lots of questions in Jackie Robinson's children's book, Is God BiGGer? Whether Ryan inquires about his favorite ice cream or the vast clouds in the sky, his mother patiently responds. Little Ryan discovers a big world and an even "biGGer" God.

The synopsis classifies the 25-page story as a "Christian children's book." It traverses themes of faith, family, and community and features lovely illustrations depicting Ryan and his family in various settings in his neighborhood and home. On the back cover, Robinson conveys her desire to "demonstrate diversity in the characters of her books through black and brown faces and many hair textures so that children can identify and appreciate their uniqueness," and she nails it.

I particularly like the way that Robinson uses Ryan's neighborhood walk with his mother and bedtime routine with his parents to teach faith in an age-appropriate manner. The colorful illustrations are delightful, and the book concludes with a sweet prayer. As Ryan tries to grasp the enormity of God, parents will relate to the little boy's inquisitive ponderings. Young children will appreciate that 3-year-old Ryan's character is based on Robinson's son, who is now 14.

On the other hand, although there isn't anything I dislike about this faith-building story, it does need professional editing. Unfortunately, numerous errors in punctuation and capitalization necessitate the deduction of a star.

Overall, I rate Is God BiGGer? 3 out of 4 stars. However, with additional polishing, it has the potential to earn the highest rating. Due to its specific emphasis on God, the story will primarily appeal to Christian families. Although Ryan's character is a preschooler, the book is suitable for young children through the age of 8. I also recommend it to parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and older siblings.

Is God BiGGer?
View: on Bookshelves
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

It's very important for children to learn about God from a young age and i would like to commend the author for putting this together.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
nyrindra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nyrindra »

It is very important to inform children about God if they are children from 3 years old. It does not matter if the knowledge of God is expressed in simple terms, the purpose is for these children to know that there is a Creator of the universe.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Luluwa79 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 07:39 It's very important for children to learn about God from a young age and i would like to commend the author for putting this together.
Thanks for the insightful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

nyrindra wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 14:41 It is very important to inform children about God if they are children from 3 years old. It does not matter if the knowledge of God is expressed in simple terms, the purpose is for these children to know that there is a Creator of the universe.
Thank you.
Mu s k + n
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mu s k + n »

That's what's every child must be told ...to feel God and not to look at him just by his name .. God in itself display eternal love and peace

Return to “Children's Books”