Official Review: The Stars by Tom Otruba/ TAO

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: The Stars by Tom Otruba/ TAO

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stars" by Tom Otruba/ TAO.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stars by Tom Otruba is a children’s book regarding a father’s explanation to his son about the origin of the stars. The writer employs illustrations and short sentences to capture the young reader’s attention. The author’s style is very simple and joyous, which creates a fun atmosphere in the text.

The author introduces this story by writing about a happy family that goes for a camping trip to a park. There, they have a picnic, and they later walk along a stream, where they see fish, frogs, and ducks. Next, Mom and young Jimmy set up the tent, while Dad and little Kim started a fire and cooked food. After having a delicious supper of hotdogs and beans, they talked and laughed. Then, they sat around the fire and roasted a few marshmallows. After everyone sleeps Dad and Jimmy talk about the stars. What will Dad reveal to Jim about the stars?

This story had many enjoyable aspects that made it fun and exciting. Firstly, the tone is casual and simple, so small children will easily grasp and comprehend the plot of the book. The story is also logically structured, which means that it follows a rational and cohesive flow. This book was exceptionally edited, as I did not find a single error in the entire story. Additionally, the book had beautiful, colorful, and original illustrations that added interest and creativity. What I liked most about this book was that it conveyed themes of love, family, and friendship, thereby teaching the young reader valuable lessons.

What I disliked most about this book was that it was very small. I think that the author could have developed his ideas further by being more creative.

This book is best suited for young children and their parents, as it can be read as a bedtime story. This book can be enjoyed by children who like reading stories about space and the universe. Both religious and non-religious readers can appreciate this story.

In conclusion, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a perfect score had it been more developed and more creative. Other than that, I found no problems in the book, as it was wonderfully illustrated, impeccably edited, and logically structured.

The Stars
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is indeed going to be a fun read. Family get together, picnics. I also liked that the book is an easy read. I'll introduce this book to my niece.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

When we go to Vermont as a family we often look at the stars. This book would be perfect to read with my kids to take that discussion to another level. Thank you.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It looks like an interesting book. It must be a burst of color after seeing the cover of the book. I wouldn't expect it. Wonderful review.
Judith Lloy
Currently Reading: Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-lloy.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen

Post by Judith Lloy »

This sounds like a cozy bedtime read! Thanks for the descriptive review. This is going on my library list for my kids.

Return to “Children's Books”