Official Review: Because You Care for Beany Bear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Because You Care for Beany Bear

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Because You Care for Beany Bear" by Christine J Logan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Because You Care for Beany Bear by Christine J. Logan is a children’s picture book about Beany, a bear who needs some help. He asks the reader to help him with various tasks, including finding food, counting bugs, and solving problems. Along the way, Beany and the reader discover new things and make new friends.

Beany Bear is an adorable character who young children are sure to fall in love with. The book shows that every new friend is a good thing, even if they don’t look like you. Among other lessons, the book teaches kids to appreciate nature and others. The pictures in the book illustrate these themes by showing many different animal species getting along and playing together.

The book does include some negative aspects too though. It includes interactive pieces where the child reading is supposed to find or count various objects in the pictures, but often there are arrows in the pictures that point you to the object you’re supposed to be searching for. I think this removes a lot of the interaction and learning that could take place.

In addition, the book is written in rhyme, but many of the lines don’t rhyme well or have an inconsistent rhythm. This really detracts from the book, and I think it would make it difficult for parents to read it out loud to their kids. Also, children often rely on rhyming and rhythm to help them learn how new words should sound, so the inconsistencies could make it more difficult for kids to learn from this book.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the pictures and stories, and it looks very professional, as I didn’t find any mistakes in the book. However, I think that the author should remove the arrows from the pictures and let kids find the objects on their own. Also, more consistent rhyming would help both kids and parents enjoy the book more. The vocabulary is appropriate for early readers in kindergarten or first grade, but parents could also help younger kids with this book.

Because You Care for Beany Bear
View: on Bookshelves
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Ooh counting bugs and solving problems! I’d also prefer the interactive aspect to be devoid of (arrow) shortcuts too. Thanks for your bear necessities review!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

It sounds like the concept of the book was very promising but the reality failed to meet expectations. Such a shame but thank you for such an honest review.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I hope the author gets to make some changes in the book if the message she intended to pass across didn't go as expected and I believe if the changes are made that the book would be a good learning tool for kids.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like an adorable read, and a valuable addition to the world of educational stories for young children! Thank you for a thorough review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

I beg to disagree, I don't believe every new friend is a good thing, for kids I want to believe that. I will say, let them find out the authenticity of that statement a few years to come. Great review
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am hugely disappointed by the inconsistencies in the book. The review was amazing though.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

Obviously, this book would be very much interactive. I loved the fact that the character was asking kids for help to count. I believe it's pretty much educative. Thanks for sharing!
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

This looks like an interesting book.A book that engaged children as they help Beany Bear must be recommended for reading to all children.

Return to “Children's Books”