Official Review: Socks On the Loose by Melanie Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Official Review: Socks On the Loose by Melanie Collins

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Socks On the Loose" by Melanie Collins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Socks On the Loose by Melanie Collins, follows the adventures of a cat named Socks who lives with his Human and The Mean Sister. One day, after playing for a while, he decides to lay down for a nap. Then he finds himself in a jungle where he meets a few of the inhabitants. What animals does Socks meet, and what happens to him there?

Socks is very playful and a great main character for this fun adventure story that is best suited for 4-7 year olds. He is based on the author's cat, who the author included a picture of. Socks was my favorite part of the story, and I could see this becoming a series.

I enjoyed looking at the illustrations by Saba Ijaz. The style of them reminds me of a cartoon. They are cute and colorful and go well with the story. The pictures are on one page followed by the text on the next page, so children would be able to look at them while being read to.

The vocabulary is good for 4-7 year olds. Older children would not have a problem reading most of the words. A couple they may have trouble with are neighbor and announced. My niece is seven and I could see her reading this book with minimal help. As for younger children, there were only a few words that they might not know the meaning of, like dreaded and disturb, but they would be easy to explain.

The book needs another round of editing, and this was the only thing I disliked about it. I found six mistakes, and some of them were obvious, like when it says, “Human’s eat muffins.”

Overall, this was a cute and fun story that I recommend for children who like cats and adventure. Due to the errors I found, I am giving this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. However, if they are corrected, I will happily change my rating to 4 stars.

Socks On the Loose
View: on Bookshelves
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I hope they correct the errors.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Nothing goes wrong with thrillers and this one, from the eye of the reviewer sure did outdo itself. For children who love cats as well as adventurous games, this will surely be the perfect book to read.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Samgum50 wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 00:55 Great review! I hope they correct the errors.
Nedbrian wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 08:03 Nothing goes wrong with thrillers and this one, from the eye of the reviewer sure did outdo itself. For children who love cats as well as adventurous games, this will surely be the perfect book to read.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Joshlee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshlee »

Hmm ,I hope the errors get corrected as soon as possible so it may look enjoyable to read and to tell stories...
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I like the plot development of this book and I would like to read it to my four-year-old sister.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Joshlee wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 06:22 Hmm ,I hope the errors get corrected as soon as possible so it may look enjoyable to read and to tell stories...
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 08:32 I like the plot development of this book and I would like to read it to my four-year-old sister.
Thank you for the review.
I hope your sister enjoys it. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I wish I enjoyed reading kids' books as this one sounds entertaining. Nice review
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seroney_ wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 04:16 I wish I enjoyed reading kids' books as this one sounds entertaining. Nice review
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Zany feline antics and dreamy jungle inhabitants would certainly make for an unforgettable cat tale! Thanks for your lovely review.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love the name Socks for a cat :) this is truly an interesting book. Great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 23:07 Zany feline antics and dreamy jungle inhabitants would certainly make for an unforgettable cat tale! Thanks for your lovely review.
Tonika632 wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 08:50 I love the name Socks for a cat :) this is truly an interesting book. Great review!

Return to “Children's Books”