Official Review: O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "O is for Oshun" by Kya Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson is a children’s alphabet book featuring characters from folklore stories. Celebrating the diverse cultures of our planet, the characters hail from all over the world. Children get to meet people like the Calabash kids from Tanzania, Hou Yi from China, and Quetzalcoatl from Mexico. The book also features animal characters, such as a beetle named Basilio from Brazil and the Nsasak Bird from Nigeria.

What makes this book truly stand out from most other children’s books on the marketplace is that it is an augmented reality book. After downloading an application, you can point your device at the characters to see them stand up and come to life, telling you where they are from and providing a teaser about their folktale. The accents of the characters are culturally appropriate, which makes them seem even more realistic.

The app also contains recordings of the full stories of the characters, so you can listen to the folktales in their entirety. Each one is set to regional music and is told in appropriate accents. While I loved the authenticity of the accents, my children, who were listening along with me, had trouble understanding a few of the stories because the pronunciation was unfamiliar to them.

There are so many wonderful things about this book. It is well constructed, and the illustrations for each character are full-page, vibrant, and beautiful. The AR feature is also very well done, with fluid movements and speech. The book is laid out with characters in A-Z order, with one character representing each letter. Each page contains one sentence that briefly explains who each character is. If I had to change something about the book, I would recommend including a bit more information in the printed book itself: perhaps listing the country of origin and a brief paragraph explaining the premise of the folktale. While the app is an amazing resource, it would be nice to also be able to read the book even when a device isn’t available.

Overall, I loved this book. I liked that the book highlighted cultures from all over the world. I know not all races and cultures are represented equally in the children’s book market, and it is nice that all children can find characters that are reflective of themselves in this book. The augmented reality component made the book extra special, and my kids are constantly asking to use the app. I didn’t notice any errors in the text. Overall, I rate O is for Oshun 4 out of 4 stars. Given that it has a tech-savvy component, the age range for this book runs much higher than that of a regular ABC book. I would say kids between the ages of 3 and 12, and even adults, will enjoy this book and the related folktales.

O is for Oshun
View: on Bookshelves
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

Wow, your review is so impressive that I am falling in love with the book already. I like authors who are dynamic and evolving. Children of today are not the same as those of years past so to have a book with awesome features like this is lovely.
mmesoma_francis
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmesoma-francis.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by mmesoma_francis »

Wow,
I've looked all over for an alphabet book with a different approach and I've only just discovered one. I'd love to hear the Nigerian accent to know if it was properly portrayed though.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I appreciate writers of children's books that put in the work to make their books more fun for their target audience with compromising on quality and educational values. This author clearly did the work. Well done on your engrossing review.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Oh, I love alphabet books for kids! The fact that it is multi-cultural is fantastic. It can introduce so much info to kids that way, although your suggestion for including more info would be a nice addition. Thanks for an interesting review of a great book!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

That sounds like such a beautiful book. I am sure kids would love it. Great review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

An augmented reality book?! This is new to me. I would love to check it out. That was a thoughtful and intriguing review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

That sounds like an amazing concept, especially with the augmented reality app. But I have to say, what stands out to me would be the amount of research that goes into representing all these cultures, and even more so, the sort of collaboration it would take to include people of the cultures so as to get the accents right. Impressive stuff.
As usual, this was a really awesome review; I like how comprehensive it is.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I'll also love to read this book - and especially with the use of the app. Well-done for the informative review.
maddisontrance38
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maddisontrance38 »

This sounds like a very lovely and interesting book. Id love for my kids to have a read
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

My family and I love folklore! I think they would enjoy this beautiful book.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

gracedivine wrote: 22 May 2020, 07:15 Wow, your review is so impressive that I am falling in love with the book already. I like authors who are dynamic and evolving. Children of today are not the same as those of years past so to have a book with awesome features like this is lovely.
Thank you for your kind comments!

mmesoma_francis wrote: 22 May 2020, 10:37 Wow,
I've looked all over for an alphabet book with a different approach and I've only just discovered one. I'd love to hear the Nigerian accent to know if it was properly portrayed though.
Thanks for commenting!

Michelle Fred wrote: 22 May 2020, 16:52 I appreciate writers of children's books that put in the work to make their books more fun for their target audience with compromising on quality and educational values. This author clearly did the work. Well done on your engrossing review.
Very true, there was obviously a lot of research and planning that went along with the fun storytelling in this book. Thanks for stopping by!

Laura Lee wrote: 22 May 2020, 18:27 Oh, I love alphabet books for kids! The fact that it is multi-cultural is fantastic. It can introduce so much info to kids that way, although your suggestion for including more info would be a nice addition. Thanks for an interesting review of a great book!
Thank you for your comment!

damis wrote: 22 May 2020, 22:44 That sounds like such a beautiful book. I am sure kids would love it. Great review!
Thanks for commenting!

Nerea wrote: 23 May 2020, 06:33 An augmented reality book?! This is new to me. I would love to check it out. That was a thoughtful and intriguing review. Kudos.
This is the first one I had seen as well, and I love the concept. Thanks for stopping by!

Dentarthurdent wrote: 23 May 2020, 11:27 That sounds like an amazing concept, especially with the augmented reality app. But I have to say, what stands out to me would be the amount of research that goes into representing all these cultures, and even more so, the sort of collaboration it would take to include people of the cultures so as to get the accents right. Impressive stuff.
As usual, this was a really awesome review; I like how comprehensive it is.
Yes, the book was very impressive. Thank you for commenting!

Sunday diamond wrote: 23 May 2020, 17:06 I'll also love to read this book - and especially with the use of the app. Well-done for the informative review.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for your comment!

FEislandqueen13 wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:24 My family and I love folklore! I think they would enjoy this beautiful book.
I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to check it out!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, what a great idea for an ABC book! I would love to check it out myself considering my love to folklore :) A very educational book for kids for sure! The title is just great and the cover looks amazing. Thank you for this insightful review!
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

This book sounds fun to read and I'm certain children would be captivated by it. Great review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! This is a no brainer! Children will be able to learn about the world in it's diversity instead of being raised in a cocoon of ignorance. If you want to travel the world without leaving your home, read a book! And for kids, this is a great start. Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”