Official Review: The Burping Pumpkin by Steph Alexis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The Burping Pumpkin by Steph Alexis

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Burping Pumpkin" by Steph Alexis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Burping Pumpkin by Steph Alexis is a children’s picture book about Zach and Zoe, two kids living in the town of Berryville. Berryville is a wonderful place where big berries grow year-round. However, all of the residents of Berryville know that they shouldn’t go past the weeping willow trees up the mountain. If you venture past the line of trees, you might meet the giants who live on the mountain, and no one has ever met the giants and made it back to Berryville. One day, Zach and Zoe go out to pick berries for a pie. They quickly end up venturing closer and closer to the trees and eventually go right past them. With the help of a giant, burping pumpkin, Zach and Zoe must find a way to get back to town safely.

From the illustrations to the story, this was a super fun book. I enjoyed how there were enough twists and turn in the plot to keep me interested. The pictures also added to the reading experience by showing the kids throughout their adventures.

The author also included some fun features that could help parents use this book with their kids. There’s a fun song included at the end of the story. Although I would have preferred for the author to include notes or sheet music to help parents and kids know what the song should sound like, I did appreciate that the song has good rhyme and rhythm. The author also included some reading comprehension questions that parents or teachers could use to ensure kids were paying attention and retaining the story.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any mistakes, and both the writing and illustrations appeared to be very professional. I enjoyed the fun surprises that were waiting around every corner, and I never would have guessed how the kids would get out of trouble at the end of the story.

I would recommend this book for parents or teachers of kids ages five to eight. It includes a few challenging vocabulary words, so I think it would be best for early readers to have an adult available to help them. If you think your kid would enjoy a fantastical story about giants and burping pumpkins, pick up a copy of this book today.

The Burping Pumpkin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

This story sounds like an exhilarating adventure for kids. Add in a burping pumpkin and it becomes even more enjoyable. Great review!
Gianina Buda
Currently Reading: Think and Grow Rich: Original Version: The Classic 1937 Edition
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gianina-buda.html
Latest Review: Pivotal Moments by Susanne Birgersdotter

Post by Gianina Buda »

This review made my day! The book sounds hilarious; I wish I could have read it when I was a child. I think your suggestion "Although I would have preferred for the author to include notes or sheet music to help parents and kids know what the song should sound like, I did appreciate that the song has good rhyme and rhythm" is really great! Even a QR code that takes you to a recording online would work great for parents who can't read music.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

It sounds like a great bedtime story. I like the fact that the pot has some twists - as you mention in the second paragraph. The musical element sounds intriguing.
Thank you for the insightful review!
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

A great kids' book that would make a handy resource for parents and educators alike. However, for me, I will have to skip this one. Thanks for the amazing review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
ZCorrrea21
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ZCorrrea21 »

It reminds the classic story of Garden of Eden when the first couple just have to obey a simple commanment. It will give parents and teachers the opportunity to teach basic principles about obedience and accountability.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Kids are sure going to love this one. The book has a lovely plot.
Thanks for the nice review
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This sounds like so much fun! And now I really, really want to read it. The main premise is super cute, and I love the sing-songy feeling of the kids’ names. I can imagine they would be fun to read out loud. And come on, a burping pumpkin? So cool. The features that you mention sound interactive and great for learning and fun, which is perfect. I agree that having sheet music or a recorded copy of the song might be helpful. Thanks for a great review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I just love children books. And this one would be fun. The Giant was going to help them? Great. Beautiful review
Flamingo28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flamingo28 »

This book is wonderful! Since im a kid, this book has appropriate words , which is great for me! I would probably give this book 4 stars, since i dont really like the title of this book, but thats not a big problem.
Wonderful :D !😀
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Adventure, adventure, adventure, these are the words this book screams of and I am already eager to flip through the pages. This book would also serve as a teaching tool to teach trust to these little ones at an early age.
carnation+99
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by carnation+99 »

This sounds like a very interesting book to read for children a book with lots of adventurers and fun packed for them . Thanks
Lashaen81
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lashaen81 »

I would recommend my child to read the book.I love the nice picture that goes along with the story.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a fun adventure story for kids! I like the fact that the author included a song and reading comprehension questions to enhance the learning experience. The cover artwork is also very cute.
:happy-jumpyellow:

Thank you for your review.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
BananaCarda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by BananaCarda »

This book sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to read it to or with my niece. I was hoping it would maybe be Halloween related after hearing about the pumpkin but even without Halloween, the burping pumpkins sound like fun.

Return to “Children's Books”