Official Review: The pigtastic adventures of Daisy and Ol...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The pigtastic adventures of Daisy and Ol...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The pigtastic adventures of Daisy and Ollie" by Gabrielle DeGroat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pigtastic Adventures of Daisy and Ollie by Gabrielle DeGroat is a children’s chapter book about two little piglets who have some crazy adventures. Daisy and Ollie were born in the wild in an abandoned shed. When their parents go missing, they must fend for themselves. After being forced to leave the shed by a mean human, they meet Hank, a man who invites the pigs to come live on his farm. Finally happy and safe, Daisy and Ollie think they have found their forever home. However, they are soon stolen from the farm and forced to live in a pig factory. Can they escape, or are they doomed to the barbeque? Read this book to find out.

I really enjoyed the quick pace of this children’s book. The story flows well, as Daisy and Ollie move from one location to another. The chapters each end with a little cliffhanger, making you want to immediately move on and read the next chapter to find out what happens to the piglets. I also thought the characterization was done well, as each of the pigs has their own personality, which is revealed through their thoughts, dialogue, and actions.

I only have a small complaint about this book. The world building is a little confusing, as the pigs can speak to humans, but the humans still eat pigs. At one point, a pig also drives, and it seems like this is a normal thing for them to do. It isn’t really clear if pigs are the only animals that converse with humans, or if all the animals can talk.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the fast-paced plot, which was full of action and surprises. However, the world building didn’t feel complete, and I found enough mistakes in the book to convince me that it was not professionally edited.

I would recommend this book to parents of kids ages six to ten, depending on their reading level. At just over 60 pages, it’s a fairly short chapter book, but it does include more challenging words like “despicable.” I will also note that this book includes themes of animal rights and vegetarianism, so if you don’t want your kid to start questioning why there’s a pig on their plate, you might want to choose another book. On the other hand, if you are hoping to teach your kid empathy and compassion for animals, this could be a great book to introduce these ideas.

The pigtastic adventures of Daisy and Ollie
View: on Bookshelves
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Great review! This sounds like a perfect book for little children. I like the idea that this book can teach children compassion for animals.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Kindness towards animals, that's it! I like that the book is fast-paced and action-packed. Thanks for reviewing!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, nothing touches the heart quite like the squeaky oink of a wiggly pink piglet! You make an excellent point about the conflicting themes of anthropomorphic swine and pork on the plate, so as a vegetarian myself, I appreciate your mention of the "friends or food?" ambiguity. Lovely review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

A chapter book about cute piglets... count me in!

Judging from your explanation, I understand why you found the world building a bit confusing. Nevertheless, I'd still be willing to give this story a try.

Thanks for your review. :)
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Oh my grand doll loves pigs and even though this is a little older book than what I would normally read to her, this sounds like a story that she would love! I may download this soon and read to her.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Daisy and Ollie must have had a difficult time fending for themselves. kids would love this fast-paced and engaging story. Beautiful review!
Sanjana_liki24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sanjana_liki24 »

Very interesting book as pigs are love to children,it grabs their attention in the story.Pigs are so cute.

Return to “Children's Books”