Official Review: Hector, A Small Painted Turtle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Hector, A Small Painted Turtle

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hector, A Small Painted Turtle" by Sammie Moran.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hector: A Small Painted Turtle by Sammie Moran is a short children’s picture book about Hector and his friends. Hector spends the day exploring the pond and the surrounding area, greeting his different animal friends. Along the way, the reader meets Boggie the frog, Millie the mallard, Princess the butterfly, and a variety of other animals who live near Hector’s home.

Although there wasn’t a complicated plot in this book, I still enjoyed reading it. The rhyming lines would be fun for a kid or parent to read aloud to others, and I appreciated that the rhymes actually flowed, which isn’t true for all rhyming children’s books. The vocabulary is simple enough for a child to read it alone. The author includes a few more difficult words (like mallard), and I liked how these more challenging words would also help kids learn about a new animal.

I don’t feel that I could properly review this book without complimenting its wonderful illustrator, Hannah M. Safford. One of the great strengths of this book is how it exposes children to different animals, and the realistic illustrations will surely help kids recognize Hector and his friends in the wild.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. From the fun rhymes to the beautiful pictures, I can’t find anything to dislike. I am compelled to say again that the illustrations truly set this book apart, and Ms. Safford must have researched painted turtles in order to create such realistic pictures. The overall product is very professional, and I only found one punctuation error in the book.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages four to eight. Although more advanced readers may not enjoy this simple picture book, beginners will love learning new words and new animals at the same time!

Hector, A Small Painted Turtle
View: on Bookshelves
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like an adorable children's picture book! The cover illustration is very beautiful and realistic. Although the plot is simple, it introduces kids to a number of different animal species.

Thank you for an excellent review! :D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Mr Hannah must have done a beautiful job with his illustrations. Kids are easily drawn to books with beautiful illustrations. Thank you for this review!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, Millie the mallard sounds like my kinda gal! It's pleasing to know the illustrations themselves were thoughtfully researched and depicted with accuracy. That sort of purposeful attention to detail truly aids in elevating a story to its highest potential. Thanks for your review!
Michelle400
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Michelle400 »

I like the book alot i love that it has animals in it since im an animal lover i recommend it i think kids will love the book.
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

This book appears to be a great way to introduce youngsters to the world of animals. You give the idea that the writing is simple and the story is enjoyable for toddlers and juniors. Happy for your positive review. :D
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Hector seems to be a sociable animal. The colourful illustrations and the easy going rhymes will definitely leave every kid engrossed in this beautiful book. Kudos to the author and the illustrator.

Return to “Children's Books”