Official Review: Nadira by Alexandra Lane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Official Review: Nadira by Alexandra Lane

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nadira" by Alexandra Lane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nadira by Alexandra Lane is a modern version fairy tale. Nadira is not your typical girl. She loves to compete with the boys, dislikes dressing up and always feels a bit different than other girls. Her dad encourages her interests, while her mother worries about her future prospects.

Jai is the Prince of Kingdom Nebula and is destined to marry the girl who has a purple heart-shaped birthmark. The girl turns out to be Princess Theodora of the Kingdom of Oros. However, Nadira and Prince Jai meet and feel an unexplainable pull towards each other. The story revolves around the question of whether the protagonists choose their true love or fulfill their duties towards their kingdom.

The story has all elements of a typical fairy tale. There is a charming prince, an evil witch, a wicked queen and so on and so forth. However, what sets this story apart is the damsel who is never in distress. She is independent, has very strong opinions about many things and never has to be rescued by her knight in shining armor. In fact, the Prince himself encourages Nadira to take part in a competition that is traditionally meant for boys.

What's more, the princess has a friend who has her own unique sense of style and couldn't care less about what people thought about her appearance. I would call this the most likable part of this book. I absolutely love strong female protagonists in any book, fairy tale or otherwise. Nadira does not wait for the Prince to help her out when her mother is bed-ridden. She sets out in the dark and scary forest, all by herself and tackles the roaring beast without any fear. She gets lost in the forest and yet manages to find her true self in the process. That was another aspect of the book that I loved. It clearly sends a positive message that facing challenges head-on helps us discover our true power.

I couldn't really find anything wrong with how the story has been told. However, I did find some spelling as well as grammatical errors throughout the book. I also felt that the formatting was not good enough in certain areas. The book would definitely benefit from another thorough round of editing. However, as the errors did not exceed ten, I would still love to give this book a four out of four stars. This is a wonderful children's book with a powerful message, especially for the female population. I recommend this book for all children as well as adults who love fairy tales.

Nadira
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This story really sounds like a modern fairy tale! I really like the premise of this book, and let's be real, that cover is beautiful!
Thanks for the great review!
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I particularly do not like the damsel in distress roles, I would love this book for sure. Wonderful review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I move the notion of 'love over duties'. This is especially when the Prince encourages Nadira's style. It's not going to be an easy ride anyways, not when Princess Theodora is there, I guess.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I think it is important that a children's book has a message to teach and this one doesn't disappoint in that regard. Good book, great review.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

The plot sounds really engaging. I like books where the protagonist is a female. I may read this book soon. Your review was very good.
White_Nights
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Came for Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by White_Nights »

I like the idea of main female character as a tomboy. It is something different from the typical story of prince being in love with peasant.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

The story sounds interesting.
Challenges are doorways to self discovery. I agree with you that the female folk will find this tale inspiring.
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

The introduction of the review is catchy.. I am impressed that the protagonist is a girl... This makes it more of a want to read!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

A story with all the elements of a fairy tale, only that the princess is not one in distress. Definitely something I will love to read. I got so engrossed reading this. You did a great job.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

The review sound nice , I think I will read this . It will be interesting .The Writer will surely be proud of this book .
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

ivana7 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 03:21 This story really sounds like a modern fairy tale! I really like the premise of this book, and let's be real, that cover is beautiful!
Thanks for the great review!
I have not read it but from the write up it sounds like Moden fury tale
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

I absolutely love the cover of this book. So beautiful and creative. The story itself also sounds enthralling with a strong female character. Looking forward to reading this one. Excellent review!
AJ_Drenda
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-drenda.html
Latest Review: Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AJ_Drenda »

JoyALB wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 02:10 I absolutely love the cover of this book. So beautiful and creative. The story itself also sounds enthralling with a strong female character. Looking forward to reading this one. Excellent review!
Ditto to that. It looks gorgeous!

Also, it's nice to see an independent female character moving through the story-world.

Thanks for your review!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Wow! This sounds like an interesting and adventurous read. I also love books containing strong, independent women. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”