Official Review: Moe And His Best Friend Boo by Nancy Alan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Moe And His Best Friend Boo by Nancy Alan

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Moe And His Best Friend Boo" by Nancy Alan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A good portion of my time online is spent watching adorable animal videos. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that cross-species friendship isn't unheard of. A dog might be friends with a cow, or a mouse might be best buddies with a cat. So when I saw a children's book about a penguin who befriends a human, I had to see what was going to happen!

Moe And His Best Friend Boo by Nancy Alan is a book about a penguin named Moe who met a boy named Boo. The two quickly became friends, and from then on, they did everything together. Eventually, life pulled the two apart, but a friendship like theirs lasts forever. And hey, nothing can keep good friends apart for too long!

This is a very cute children's book. I loved that the book centered on the penguin, not the human. The similarities between them were adorable. On one page, Nancy shows how the two of them love to fish together, even though they don't fish the same way. Boo is sitting on a little ice block while he's ice fishing, and Moe is right there in the water, yanking a fish out with his mouth. The artwork is emotive, and Nancy puts the icy setting to use very well.

The writing is also excellent. I almost rolled my eyes when I saw that this was a rhyming book, but the rhymes are great. I couldn't read the book without hearing how sing-songy the stanzas were in my head, and there were only a couple of places where the length of lines broke the flow a bit.

Moe And His Best Friend Boo is a great book about friendship, and I'm happy to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciated the little added themes like growing up and family. The book is perfectly edited, the words flow melodically, and the artwork is adorable. People who love igloos, Eskimos, penguins, the color blue, and friendship will get the most out of this book.

Moe And His Best Friend Boo
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, this one sounds darling!! Breaking ice, melting hearts. Lovely review of it!
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

This sounds like a cute kid's book. I like children's literature that focuses on things like friendship and togetherness. Being from Alaska, I can also appreciate igloos, the color blue, and ice fishing! Thanks for the great review!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for your review. This sounds like a great children’s book. Not to mention, the cover of the book is adorable.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This sounds like a really good book. The 4 out of 4 stars rating in this concise review reflects this.
Kirad609
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kirad609 »

I really like this book. It highlights the l concept of friendship which children can understands nicely! Great job

Return to “Children's Books”