Official Review: Thank You, Me by Ellie Oop

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Thank You, Me by Ellie Oop

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thank You, Me" by Ellie Oop.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thank You, Me by Ellie Oop is a children’s picture book about the wonders of the body. Our bodies do so much for us every single day. This book teaches kids about appreciating everything that each of our body parts does for us. Do you appreciate your body the way that you should? You will after reading this book.

I liked the tone of this book. It was all about appreciating the little things that our bodies can do for us. Being able to see and being able to hear are actions that we might take for granted. However, this book looks at these actions from a different perspective. Each page thanks the body part involved for doing its job. This is such a great message for children.

The illustrations fit well with the text of the book. Each page of text is accompanied by a picture in which the main character is showing appreciation to her body. These pictures are created in soft, pastel colors. Most children’s books have very bright and vibrant colors in the illustrations, so I enjoyed this change.

I was disappointed with the editing of this book. There is a question mark missing on every page. While this isn’t a huge deal, it’s a lot of errors in a short children’s book. Children’s books need to be professionally edited because of the impressionable audience that they are intended for.

Other than the editing, the only other issue I have with the book is the word used at the beginning of each page to introduce the body part that is being appreciated. Words such as squeezers, tootles, and stubbles are used. While some people might enjoy the unique vocabulary, I didn’t like the use of these words. I sometimes had a difficult time connecting them to the part that was talked about, and it would be hard to explain them to children.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The message is amazing, and the pictures went well with the rest of the book. The only issues were the editing and the words at the beginning of each page. I only took off one star for these issues, and it was mostly due to the editing. Even with the errors, I would still recommend this book to anyone with children and anyone who works with children. I would suggest reading it out loud to them and talking about how we should appreciate our bodies. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone that would be bothered by the issues that I mentioned before.

Thank You, Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love the book's message. Especially to children, learning ahead to appreciate their body parts encourages self love as they blossom into young-adults. Thanks for the review.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I have seen this type of message once or twice about loving your body here and there. It's all in the matter of how it's executed. I'll definitely give this book a try. Thanks for your review!
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

This book is a reminder about the need to love our bodies and appreciate the role of each part to make life liveable.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Loving your body is a good message for a children's book, but I do agree with you about the word use. Perhaps a different choice of words might be more appropriate?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Indeed, the use of pastel colors in the illustrations was a nice touch. Gratitude is an important lesson that kids (and adults) should learn.

Thanks for your review. :)
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I think the lessons this book seeks to teach is an important one for kids in developing them into young adults with a very good self esteem. Thanks for the review
aaliyurr
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aaliyurr »

I think this was really good as it teaches young kids good self esteem and a sense of self love.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

What a fabulous book! I think it does not only teaches children to appriciate their bodies and themselves, it also reminds the adults to do the same thing! I absolutely love the idea of this book. Thanks for the great review!
Teny
Currently Reading: Magic Tree House
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Teny »

I absolutely love the content of the book. I’m just imagining how excited a three year old would be to have it read to her. I’m a quite disappointed that the author didn’t take time to edit the book. Therefore, I wouldn’t advice school going children to read it on their own because they are still learning and are very concerned and observant with grammar and punctuation marks . Thank you for the honest review
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

I feel the major take-away from this book is teaching kids to love themselves. Everyone should develop self-love as it will go a long way into building confidence for the future. Apart from the editing issues, I thing its a good book.

Return to “Children's Books”