Official Review: Jane’s trip to Mars

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Jane’s trip to Mars

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jane’s trip to Mars" by Barbara Henderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jane’s trip to Mars by Barbara Henderson is a children’s book about Jane’s journey to planet Mars. The short story contains some elements of science fiction, as well as fantasy. The writer’s tone is simple, informal, and direct, engaging small children in the story.

The writer begins the story by describing how one morning a little girl named Jane wakes up and realizes she has become invisible. Her family cannot see her, and she does not have a reflection in the mirror. Jane goes out of the house and she meets a weird creature, who has come from Mars to take her there because Mars needs her help. Jane is puzzled, but she follows the weird creature to Mars. Why does Mars need Jane’s help? Will Jane come back to Earth?

There were plenty of positive characteristics in the novel. Firstly, the book was professionally edited, as I only noticed two errors in the entire story. The language in the story is also very simple, meaning that little children will understand the meaning of the words in the book. What I liked most in the book was the fact that the author included beautiful illustrations that grasp the reader’s attention, adding creativity, interest, and excitement to the text.

What I disliked most in the book was the storyline. The plot seemed hastily devised, as the story lacked structure and coherence. In other words, the storyline was unrealistic, as the events did not follow a logical pattern.

This book is best suited for young children that enjoy reading books about other planets. The book is suited for readers of all religions, including non-religion.

All in all, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a perfect score due to the lack of logic and structure in the plot. However, a lower rating would have been unfair, as the story has been wonderfully illustrated and professionally edited.

Jane’s trip to Mars
View: on Bookshelves
Kimberlycombs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlycombs.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Kimberlycombs »

Thank you for your review ..Do you think a 14 year old were enjoy the book or is it for much younger children?
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Kimberlycombs wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 20:33 Thank you for your review ..Do you think a 14 year old were enjoy the book or is it for much younger children?
I think that a 14-year-old is too old to read the book, as this book is mostly for ages 8-12, as the plot and the language are very simple for a 14-year-old.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Despite it lacking a clear plot, I think children would still enjoy it! It would certainly be a good book for a space theme. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
AstridAlpha18
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astridalpha18.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AstridAlpha18 »

I agree. Well-thought illustrations can really strengthen almost any type of literature. There is only so much an author can put on the back burner of "well, 'cause magic that's why." Glad to hear that otherwise the story did not suffer any editorial errors that would have detracted from the children's tale.
Don moks
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd edition
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Don moks »

It's a good book for children,I tend to think it is for children of age 7 to 12 years.The book Jane's trip to mars by Barbara Henderson is fictional and I think most of the children will like it.
Last edited by Don moks on 06 Mar 2020, 04:45, edited 2 times in total.
jequanclar2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jequanclar2 »

It sounds like a great children’s book. I agree that it’s a little to young for 14 year olds.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I think very good illustrations are important in children books. Thanks for the review
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a great adventurous book for little kids. Great review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This is cute. Kids love things like space so having a story about a girl who gets to go to Mars, even if there's no clear storyline, is kind of great.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Children's Books”