Official Review: Dragon mouse by Chris gates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Official Review: Dragon mouse by Chris gates

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon mouse" by Chris gates.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Mouse is a book about the adventures of a half-dragon-half-mouse creature called Dragon Mouse. The name of the author is not included in the booklet. According to Online Book Club, his name is Chris Gates. Chris Gates starts his narration by giving the ancestral story of the dragon-mice. The book is narrated in third-person perspective and is set in two eras. The historical setting is in a period with no technology, where kings live in magnificent castles. The present setting is in the period with computers, cars, yachts and industries.

Dragon Mouse is displaced from the mountains of Wales due to urbanization. Their little community is scattered as roads, car parks, supermarkets and housing estates are established. He takes shelter in a rabbit burrow, wondering how he is going to survive the approaching winter. To escape the cold season, he sets out, without a destination in mind. His adventurous journey takes him from Wales to Morocco. He sings, walks along sandy beaches, sails the high seas, watches dolphins and flying fish, gets caught up in a storm, and also helps save nature from industrial waste. He also finds his cousin Megan, who left home to join a world-famous circus after winning a fire-eating talent show.

The language of the book is simple. The font is comfortable to the eyes. There are black-and-white pictures within the story. The pages are numbered excellently so it is easy to follow the story without getting lost. The scenes are bedecked with humor. My favorite was when Yorkshire Roger’s bottom caught fire while laying a trap for Megan and Dragon Mouse. The picture illustration of this scene is hilarious.

I most love the characters because they are interesting. Dragon Mouse is the brave, fire-spitting singer, who loves being independent. Hedgehog helps jump-start Dragon Mouse’s adventures. The troublesome rat-gang members led by King Rat, who wreak havoc wherever they go. Arturo, the generous, melodious, restaurant owner. Captain Lillo, who sails the seas with Dragon Mouse. My favorite are Pete and Jolly, the two noisy ‘fishermen’ who always went fishing, but never caught anything because fish ran away due to their blaring chatter. The inclusion of many characters enriches the story.

The name, Dragon Mouse, is confusing because there are other dragon mice in the story. The author could improve the name by deriving an adjectival name from the character traits of Dragon Mouse, adding it before or after, so as to make it unique. It could be Dragon Mouse, the Independent or Melody, the dragon mouse. The author might also include his own name and information. Notwithstanding, this is a remarkable book for young readers and anyone else who enjoys talking-dragon stories.

The book doesn’t have profanities and erotic scenes. I came across errors. I will not rate it 2 stars due to the amazing characterization. I will not rate it 4 stars because of the errors. I rate Dragon Mouse 3 out of 4 stars.

Dragon mouse
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

This sounds like an extremely fun children's book. I'm sure kids will enjoy reading about the adventures of Dragon Mouse. Well done on the review.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Michelle Fred wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 00:58 This sounds like an extremely fun children's book. I'm sure kids will enjoy reading about the adventures of Dragon Mouse. Well done on the review.
Thanks a lot Michelle Fred.
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It sounds like an amazing children's book with a tint of humour. Great review!
Annclaire Gachie
Favorite Book: Throne of Glass
Currently Reading: Good Leaders Ask Great Questions
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Annclaire Gachie »

Woow! I love the review. The language is simple and flows well. Its easy to read without getting distracted
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a great children's book that covers an important issue of displacement due to the ever-changing landscape of urbanization. Dragon mouse sounds like a lovable character, and I am sure little ones will be immersed in this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Anmol Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anmol-paul.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Anmol Paul »

I really used to like reading stories of dragons in my childhood. Children will surely have a great time reading this book. Also the review of the book 'Dragon mouse' is really well written.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

What an adorable and inventive read. Too bad about the errors. Thank you for the review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Just from the review I have gotten a clear picture of the book. The picture illustrations sounds fun especially because it has dragons. Its a shame that it wasn't well edited. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The Dragon mouse is an amazing creation! Thanks for including the list of the many different adventures developed in the story. The humor makes it appealing - even to adults! This looks wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 02:13 It sounds like an amazing children's book with a tint of humour. Great review!
Indeed it is! Thanks Anushka.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Annclaire Gachie wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 04:56 Woow! I love the review. The language is simple and flows well. Its easy to read without getting distracted
Thanks a lot for your comment Annclaire.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 06:06 This sounds like a great children's book that covers an important issue of displacement due to the ever-changing landscape of urbanization. Dragon mouse sounds like a lovable character, and I am sure little ones will be immersed in this book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
They will definitely enjoy it! Thanks a lot for your comment Stephanie.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Anmol Paul wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 09:05 I really used to like reading stories of dragons in my childhood. Children will surely have a great time reading this book. Also the review of the book 'Dragon mouse' is really well written.
Thanks a lot for the comment Anmol Paul. I appreciate your passing by.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 14:51 What an adorable and inventive read. Too bad about the errors. Thank you for the review!
Indeed it is very creative! Thanks a lot for your comment AntonelaMaria.

Return to “Children's Books”