Official Review: The Crocodile Solution: by Ron D. Kingsley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Crocodile Solution: by Ron D. Kingsley

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crocodile Solution:" by Ron D. Kingsley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine that you have a crocodile under your bed. How would you get it to leave? This is the dilemma that Mrs. Fields' class must solve in the imaginative children's chapter book, The Crocodile Solution: A Story from the Life of Ronnie Kaye by Ron D. Kingsley. When Ron's teacher announces that there will be a special assembly with prizes for the winner of the challenge, the class can barely contain their excitement. In over 30 years, no one has ever come up with the correct solution to Dr. Kingsley's challenge to get the crocodile to leave. Can Ron and his friends solve the hypothetical problem?

In the meantime, fifth-grader Ron is dealing with some challenges of his own in the second volume of the Ronnie Kaye series. The story is written in an amusing first-person narrative from Ron's perspective, giving young readers a glimpse into his humorous thoughts and his infatuation with the new girl at school. As Ron tries to solve the assigned crocodile challenge, he is antagonized by Henry Cloose, his short-lived status as a hero lands him in the hospital, and his bike is stolen. Kingsley addresses such issues as living with a disability, bullying, and ADHD through the entertaining antics of Ron and his friends. The story also explores themes of friendship, first crushes, compassion, and problem-solving.

The strength of this story and what I like most is the character development. Young readers will relate to the 10-year-old protagonist, Ron. He often gets carried away by his thoughts and doesn't always pay attention in class. Ron befriends the new student, Debbie. Debbie is a resilient girl with cerebral palsy; she has a spunky personality and a mischievous sense of humor. The supporting characters are equally well-developed and include Ron's twin, Veronica, and his best friend, David. Henry Cloose is somewhat of a class troublemaker, but readers will come to understand him better as the story unfolds. I also appreciate Kingsley's sensitivity by using Ron's curiosity to explain cerebral palsy to young readers.

On the other hand, I dislike the numerous inconsistencies throughout the book. For instance, Ron complains that the cell phones he and his twin sister have are basic and do not include texting. However, later in the story, he mentions texting David. Other inconsistencies are reflected in the spelling of a name, the specific day of the special assembly, and the color of Veronica’s bike. Also, there are instances when Ron uses words that seem unrealistic for his age and inconsistent with his character. For example, "flatulence" is not the word most ten-year-old boys would choose, and a reference to Botox also seems out of character. Lastly, Ron's reference to Debbie as a "little crippled girl" is inconsistent with the rest of the story's sensitivity in addressing disabilities. Kingsley needs to edit the outdated and insensitive term.

Likewise, the book as a whole needs a thorough round of professional editing; punctuation errors and the incorrect use of plurals and possessives persist throughout the book. Also, the story begins with the teacher's announcement about the special assembly. Given that the presentation is less than two weeks away, and it takes over 300 pages to reach the anticipated event, the page length seems excessive and may fail to hold the attention of young readers. The plot includes many memories and backstories from Ron that may be better suited for another sequel.

Additionally, some content is repeated as though it is being introduced for the first time, such as the twins' mother intentionally naming them Veronica Kristine and Ronald Kristopher, giving them the same nickname: Ronnie Kris. However, other pertinent information appears late in the plot. For instance, Ron doesn't mention that he has ADHD until the book is half over; this seems like a missed opportunity for similarly diagnosed readers to identify with the character early in the story. Perhaps Ron's ADHD is addressed in the first book of the series, but a reminder earlier in the sequel would be helpful for first-time readers.

This is a humorous and engaging story that has the potential to earn the highest rating once the inconsistencies and editing issues are corrected. Unfortunately, in its current state, I must rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers in the 5th and 6th grades. I am hesitant to suggest it to a younger audience due to a few instances of borderline profanity; parental discretion is advised.

The Crocodile Solution:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It sounds like a great book with some sensitive issues, plus it is written in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Amazing review btw!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 04:31 It sounds like a great book with some sensitive issues, plus it is written in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Amazing review btw!
Thank you!
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

At least they handled the character development well. I might check it out someday. Thanks for your honest review!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

It sounds like this book has alot of relatable topics included in the main characters life.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

adamgreenrock wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 09:14 At least they handled the character development well. I might check it out someday. Thanks for your honest review!
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 10:36 It sounds like this book has alot of relatable topics included in the main characters life.
True. Thanks for commenting.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I like the premise of the book...definitely original. It's unfortunate the inconsistencies were not found previously but good job on your part for finding them!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 19:57 I like the premise of the book...definitely original. It's unfortunate the inconsistencies were not found previously but good job on your part for finding them!
Thank you, Helene. :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like more of a first draft. I hope the author sorts some of the issues out. I think it could be a winner otherwise. What a catchy title!
You know I love your reviews :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:38 This sounds like more of a first draft. I hope the author sorts some of the issues out. I think it could be a winner otherwise. What a catchy title!
You know I love your reviews :)
I agree. Thank you, Bianka!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This book sounds like it has the potential to be great. Hopefully, the author fixes the mistakes. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”