Official Review: Robinetta Redbreast and the PEPPER Flake...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Robinetta Redbreast and the PEPPER Flake...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Robinetta Redbreast and the PEPPER Flake Escape" by Barbara Matthews Benge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robinetta Redbreast and the PEPPER Flake Escape by Barbara Matthews Benge is the charming story of a busy bird with a penchant for decorating who is preparing her nest for the arrival of her babies. In the children's picture book, Robinetta has discovered the perfect garden sanctuary to create a nest for the eggs she will lay. She busies herself decorating her new home and creatively repurposes doilies from spiderwebs, curtains from cabbage leaves, and cradles from walnut shells to furnish it. The only thing missing is a picture to hide an ugly exposed twig. Wearing her pretty travel hat, Robinetta sets out to find the perfect art, but she accidentally lands in a dangerous situation with a hungry cat. How will she escape?

I am sometimes hesitant to select a book that doesn't have the option to preview it. However, there are times when I am pleasantly surprised by making a selection sight unseen, as is the case with this delightful children's picture book. It emphasizes the value of creativity, repurposing, problem-solving, adventure, and safety. The book is fun to read, and children who are drawn to details will pore over the lovely illustrations, noticing something different each time.

I find it hard to define what I like most about this charmer of a children's book, but it's a toss-up between the gorgeous illustrations by Jo Beth Vigil-Price and Benge's creative attention to detail. As I wasn't able to view a sample from the book before selecting it, I chose it based on the synopsis. However, had I been able to peek at the stunning illustrations, they most definitely would have sealed the deal; the cover doesn't do justice to the rest of the book's exceptional artwork. Likewise, Benge doesn't disappoint, whether she is describing Robinetta's flair for decorating by gathering finds from the garden or depicting the robin wearing one of her fashionable hats. Suffice it to say that both the illustrator and the author nailed the details that will amuse young readers.

There isn't one thing I dislike about the book or anything I can highlight for improvement. It is exceptionally edited, and I will also note that the book is "designed to be DYSLEXIC FRIENDLY," by selecting specific fonts/sizes, paper, and tinted backgrounds to reduce glare and other negative distractions for challenged readers.

It is my pleasure to rate this entertaining and beautifully illustrated book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers through the age of 9, and to parents, grandparents, and teachers. As noted above, it may hold special appeal for readers with dyslexia.

Robinetta Redbreast and the PEPPER Flake Escape
View: on Bookshelves
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

Wow, I am pleased that the author thought about the dyslexic children as well. It sounds like a great book and a sort of thriller for young kids. Thanks for your review!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Oh, that's brilliant to make it dyslexic friendly. That's a winner in my estimation already! I love your description of the creative use of spiders' webs for doilies, etc. It sounds very charming. Thanks for a good review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Oh. One more thing. I hadn't thought of some fonts being more dyslexic-friendly than others. Just out of curiosity, what's the font like? Serif? Sans serif?
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shabram22 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:31 Wow, I am pleased that the author thought about the dyslexic children as well. It sounds like a great book and a sort of thriller for young kids. Thanks for your review!
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

It sounds like theres alot of good lessons in this story and my daughter would definitely enjoy the detailed pictures.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Laura Lee wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 15:49 Oh. One more thing. I hadn't thought of some fonts being more dyslexic-friendly than others. Just out of curiosity, what's the font like? Serif? Sans serif?
Thank you, Laura. I believe sans serif is recommended.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 23:56 It sounds like theres alot of good lessons in this story and my daughter would definitely enjoy the detailed pictures.
I can't say enough how delightful the illustrations are! Thanks for your comment.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

The illustrations make the story really easy to tell. Thanks for the review.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a wonderful book that children will enjoy. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”