Official Review: Bonnie and Clyde by Patricia A. Gummeson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Bonnie and Clyde by Patricia A. Gummeson

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bonnie and Clyde" by Patricia A. Gummeson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is one of the best children’s stories I have read in a long time. Bonnie and Clyde, written by Patricia A. Grummeson, is the cute and funny true story of the antics and misadventures of her family’s two hamsters. They are constantly escaping from their cage and getting into mischief. Although they keep causing trouble, the whole family still loves them.

The book is beautifully illustrated with full-page color pictures. The hamsters are so cute. Bonnie wears a flowered hat, and Clyde has a black bowtie. Other family pets are characters in the story. Peanut, the parakeet, shares his birdseed with the hamsters and tells them about flying. The dog and cat also add to the fun. A young boy is the narrator of the story and the owner of the two hamsters.

This twenty-four-page book contains many funny happenings. One of my favorite scenes shows Bonnie and Clyde having a tea party in the Barbie Dream House, sitting at a tiny table set with a doll-size tea set and munching on Cheerios. The picture is adorable. Another part I enjoyed was when Clyde was riding in a toy fire truck and woke the little boy sleeping nearby.

Children of all ages will love this book. Young readers should have no problem with the easy-to-read story. Younger children will enjoy having the story read aloud to them or just looking at the pictures by themselves. Even adults will find this book sweet and charming. Several of the pages made me laugh out loud at the trouble these two could get into.

The author, Patricia A. Gummeson, loves to tell the story of the hamsters to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She decided to write this book so that other children could hear the true story of Bonnie and Clyde too. She has written several other stories that I am anxious to read. After I finish with this book, I plan to donate it to the grade school where my daughter is a Kindergarten teacher. Her class will love it.

I recommend this book to all parents of young kids and anyone who loves children’s books. It is perfect for any child. It has no vulgarity or sexual situations. There are no scary scenes that might frighten young readers. The book is very well edited. I found two places where I would add a comma, but these were a style preference and not actual errors. This wonderful book is fun and lively. I am giving Bonnie and Clyde, by Patricia A. Gummeson, a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars.

Bonnie and Clyde
View: on Bookshelves
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I still like to read children's book. I would like to read this book for a cheery experience. Thanks for your review!
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Salma_asa wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 04:03 I still like to read children's book. I would like to read this book for a cheery experience. Thanks for your review!
I enjoyed this book. I think you will too. Thanks for the comment.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a wonderful story for children. The pictures and story would delight the target audience. When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be a historical fiction about gangsters!! Thanks for the heartwarming recommendation. :-)
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 22:23 This sounds like a wonderful story for children. The pictures and story would delight the target audience. When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be a historical fiction about gangsters!! Thanks for the heartwarming recommendation. :-)
I thought that too. But Bonnie and Clyde are hamsters.

Return to “Children's Books”