Official Review: Wizzie The Wiggleworm by Dr. David Trucker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Official Review: Wizzie The Wiggleworm by Dr. David Trucker

Post by Washboard »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wizzie The Wiggleworm" by Dr. David Trucker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whether you have a kid in your life with a disability that could use some encouragement, or simply want to teach children how to be supportive and empathetic towards folks with different physical capabilities, this book is a great way to start the discussion!

Wizzie the Wiggleworm by Dr. David Trucker features a little worm, Wizzie, who walks with a wiggle due to a curve in her back. She is quite upset when others make fun of her for her wiggly walk, but the support of her friends helps her to feel better. Can Mama Robin, Baby Robin, Oolie the owl, Dinnie the dancer, and Bingie the musician help her find a way to turn her wiggly walk into something she is proud of?

The charming illustrations, created by the talented Jesse Maloney, provide a visual representation for the characters' emotions to help children see how teasing makes others feel, as well as how having the support of your friends can make a difference.

The only critique I have of this book is it contains a few errors. All the errors are minor and would probably go unnoticed by most readers, so it does little to detract from the quality of the book. A quick correction or two would give this book the perfect shine that it deserves.

Despite the minor errors, this book deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The endearing storyline and adorable illustrations together create a fantastic and entertaining book while providing children with the beginning stages of learning how to support their friends, feel empathy for others, and how to embrace their own differences. While children just beginning school may get the greatest benefit from this story with an adult reading it to them, early grade school kids can also learn from this book.

Wizzie The Wiggleworm
View: on Bookshelves
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book sounds so good. As someone who has cerebral palsy, this is a book I feel would have really resonated with me if I would have read it as a child. I feel like this book would be perfect for kids without or without a disability as it not only seems to help and encourage kids, but also make them aware that we are all made uniquely. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Deprise Evans wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 22:16 This book sounds so good. As someone who has cerebral palsy, this is a book I feel would have really resonated with me if I would have read it as a child. I feel like this book would be perfect for kids without or without a disability as it not only seems to help and encourage kids, but also make them aware that we are all made uniquely. Thank you for the wonderful review!
I hope it is able to provide the powerful impact to kids that you would have benefitted from if it had been published earlier. I think Wizzie is a character that kids can look up to! Thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate your comment!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Aww. This is cute and helpful. It's great to see so many books about kids with disabilities learning to accept and cope with their issues aimed at a younger audience because they can help build awareness and compassion. I like that Wizzie also has such an extensive network of support because it shows that she's not alone.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 21:04 Aww. This is cute and helpful. It's great to see so many books about kids with disabilities learning to accept and cope with their issues aimed at a younger audience because they can help build awareness and compassion. I like that Wizzie also has such an extensive network of support because it shows that she's not alone.
I think this book will be a great tool for kids to learn about compassion! And you are right, the strong network that she has is a great thing. I hope you enjoy the book if you get a chance to read it!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

As soon as i read the title of this book, i thought of my kids who are definitely wigglers. My eldest has asd too so its great to see a book that teaches acceptance.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Amy747 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 06:43 As soon as i read the title of this book, i thought of my kids who are definitely wigglers. My eldest has asd too so its great to see a book that teaches acceptance.
I hope your kids enjoy the book! It is a cute story!

Return to “Children's Books”