Official Review: Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover" by Randal Betz Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Helix is a turtle who has just been invited to his first sleepover! He is excited about spending the night at his buddy Edward’s house. Helix is a little nervous at the thought of being away from home, but his mother helps to ease his fears by having him practice getting in and out of his sleeping bag. Helix was born with a spinal disorder, and he cannot use his back legs. He is fitted with a pair of “super cool wheels” that look like small skateboard wheels to help him move around.

On the day of the sleepover, Edward runs down the front stairs of his house to greet Helix and his mom. When they realize that the stairs are the only way into Edward’s house (which also has lots of stairs inside), Helix is devastated and fights back tears of disappointment. He cannot climb the stairs with his wheels. What will the friends do? Will Helix’s mom think of an idea to save their sleepover plans?

In Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover, Edward goes from not really seeing his friend’s disability to assuming he can’t do certain things. After Edward realizes that Helix can do whatever he can do, it is heartwarming to see Edward asking his friend if his wheels hurt him and how he manages things like reaching his plate at the dinner table.

This is a delightful children’s book written by Randal Betz Jr. and Carol Mason Shrader with illustrations by Claudio Icuza. The character Helix is based on an actual turtle named Helix with the same spinal disorder and wheels. This is the second book in the Helix series. The first book introduces Helix and tells how he got his wheels.

This book has many great qualities, but what I like most is that every aspect is geared toward the young reader. The entire book is written in dialogue, and the sentences are short, simple, and educational. The bold font is black and easy to see on a white background. Besides the wonderful illustrations that support the story, there is a character named Wormy hidden on each page, and the reader is challenged to find him. I will admit, I looked for Wormy before I read every page. It reminded me of Where’s Waldo?

There is nothing that I dislike about this book. At thirty-nine colorful pages plus a seven-page appendix, it is the perfect length for the target age group (ages seven to nine). Coauthor Carol Shrader has two sons with cerebral palsy, and her influence on this story, particularly in addressing people with disabilities, is apparent.

I rate Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover 4 out of 4 stars. I did not notice any grammatical errors in the book. It is exceptionally well edited and illustrated. I highly recommend this book to all families with young readers. Shrader says that “her children have taught her that no matter what our differences, we can always find something in common.” The authors pass this lesson on to everyone who reads this book.

Helix Rolls Into a Sleepover
View: on Bookshelves
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

In the first place, the books cover is extremely enticing, and it envokes a plethora of questions. The story seems well suited for teaching children very valuable lessons that will no doubt make them. More tolerant to people of diverse physical appearances, and even have a lasting impression on them to embrace and respect whatever cultural differences they may encounter in their lives. Thanks for a very informative review. I have added this to my wtr list.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This is a good book to help children understand their friends who have disabilities. It can also help parents start a conversation with their kids about the same. Thanks for the review!
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Thanks for your review. I love that from the author's personal experience she was able to co-write a book that makes kids aware of disabilities and how to help a friend in need.
bmfought
Currently Reading: Resisting the Bad Boy
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bmfought »

Thank you for your thorough review! I read at least 5 books a week to my toddler and he loves books that he can spot things in each page. Having a character with a disability is something I'm looking into furthering my son's education on. We have a cousin who has MD and is in a wheelchair, and this could be the start to help him start to understand a few things.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

This review makes me want to read this book too :D
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Falconcrest wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 05:42 In the first place, the books cover is extremely enticing, and it envokes a plethora of questions. The story seems well suited for teaching children very valuable lessons that will no doubt make them. More tolerant to people of diverse physical appearances, and even have a lasting impression on them to embrace and respect whatever cultural differences they may encounter in their lives. Thanks for a very informative review. I have added this to my wtr list.
There is so much to this book, and yet it is simple enough for kids to understand. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Magnify3 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 08:00 This is a good book to help children understand their friends who have disabilities. It can also help parents start a conversation with their kids about the same. Thanks for the review!
It really is a great book for this conversation. I like that it establishes their friendship before addressing questions about Helix’s disability. Thanks for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Irene_A wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 11:40 Thanks for your review. I love that from the author's personal experience she was able to co-write a book that makes kids aware of disabilities and how to help a friend in need.
Yes, her perspective definitely came through. It is a thoughtful book. Thanks for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

bmfought wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 13:19 Thank you for your thorough review! I read at least 5 books a week to my toddler and he loves books that he can spot things in each page. Having a character with a disability is something I'm looking into furthering my son's education on. We have a cousin who has MD and is in a wheelchair, and this could be the start to help him start to understand a few things.
This would be a great book for you to read to him. It’s simple enough for him to get something from it, and there are things that will touch your heart that your son will not grasp yet. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy the book!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Riszell wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 19:40 This review makes me want to read this book too :D
I needed a break from “grownup memoirs” and found this marvelous read. There is a great message in this book for anyone who reads it. And Wormy is cute, too! :D Thanks for stopping by.
Rosa Parks
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I admire the author for this beautiful book about a sensitive subject. The cover is quite attractive and your review highlights the well-written story. What a lovely book for this age level.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I read another Helix book for review recently. Isn’t this a fun series? This author is so talented and the messages are so positive! Great job on this.
Everything happens for a reason...
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:29 I admire the author for this beautiful book about a sensitive subject. The cover is quite attractive and your review highlights the well-written story. What a lovely book for this age level.
I think this is the best children’s book I have reviewed. Kids can absorb an important lesson just by reading about two friends getting to know each other better. The illustrations throughout the book are outstanding, too. Thanks for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
PrincipleCanon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PrincipleCanon »

The book is okay by me, it makes the children understand the value of what they have so as to be contented. Moreover I felt sad for helix.

Return to “Children's Books”