Official Review: Loulou Brown Loves to Read

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Loulou Brown Loves to Read

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Loulou Brown Loves to Read" by Deborah Bernard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Loulou Brown Loves to Read by Deborah Bernard, bibliophiles young and old will relate to the ginger-haired bookworm on a mission to find a peaceful place to read in a house full of several active siblings. Loulou can think of no better way to enjoy a rainy day--if only she could find a quiet spot. Follow Loulou's amusing quest to see how she shares her favorite activity with those she loves.

This delightful picture book features flawless editing and colorful illustrations by Mark Brayer. Young readers will be amused by Loulou's attempts to find the perfect place to curl up with a book as she encounters one sibling after another involved in various projects, such as building, baking, playing dress-up, and banging the drums. Loulou's humorous interactions with her siblings celebrate themes of kindness, individuality, relationships, and problem-solving.

I most like Bernard's creative depiction of Loulou as a problem-solving booklover and caring sibling. Loulou is an active bookworm; she shares her love of reading with her siblings by engaging them in their varying interests. For instance, her younger sister, Lilah, loves to play dress-up. Loulou gives Lilah the library book "Costumes for Kids" but also helps her organize her closet. Similar scenarios are portrayed with Loulou's other siblings as she gives them books she has selected specifically for them. All the while, Loulou exemplifies kindness to her siblings and problem-solving skills. She also applies her book smarts to fix a leaky faucet and conquer her fear of the spooky attic.

The only thing I dislike is the lack of transition when Loulou suddenly appears in the library. The library is certainly a reasonable destination considering Loulou's quest for a quiet place to read. However, the rest of the story takes place in Loulou's home, and there is no explanation given as to how she arrives at the library. The story jumps from an illustration of Loulou climbing stairs at home to one of her sitting on a beanbag chair and reading at the library. The accompanying text reads, "Then she remembered the one place in the world where it was always quiet, and she knew she could read in peace." Using the same text with an additional illustration between the two pages would provide a simple segue and add a climatic aspect to the story. It would also encourage question prompts for those reading to young children. For instance, the illustration might picture Loulou walking to the library or perhaps display a close-up of her facial expression as the idea occurs to her, prompting questions, such as "Where do you think Loulou is going?" or "Do you have a special place you like to read?". Given the rest of the storyline, the lack of transition seems abrupt and inconsistent.

Sadly, this type of inconsistency in a children's picture book prevents me from giving it a perfect score. Therefore, I rate Loulou Brown Loves to Read 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the entertaining story to young readers under the age of 10; it is also a fun read-aloud story for parents, grandparents, and teachers.

Loulou Brown Loves to Read
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for a review that gives a good analysis. I'm always on the look out for quality children's books. It's also helpful having the age of the intended audience. Thanks!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Finding a quiet place to read is a relatable problem, and I'd like to see the interactions between Loulou and her siblings. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Laura Lee wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 10:50 Thanks for a review that gives a good analysis. I'm always on the look out for quality children's books. It's also helpful having the age of the intended audience. Thanks!
I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Tomah wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 12:25 Finding a quiet place to read is a relatable problem, and I'd like to see the interactions between Loulou and her siblings. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

I like the way Loulou encourages reading amongst her siblings by sharing books she knows might interest them. You've made a good point in regards to building up the climactic point of the story, perhaps an additional image would've helped. Nonetheless, it still sounds like a great children's book to encourage reading! Great review, thanks!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I chose this book but the download didn't work. I was able to see some of the illustrations and found them amusing. I hope the author adds that missing link to clinch that wayward 🌟.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this story line! Reading doesn't only make you smart - it makes you useful! This sounds like a charming book. Thanks for the insights and the recommendation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Y0landa wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:17 I like the way Loulou encourages reading amongst her siblings by sharing books she knows might interest them. You've made a good point in regards to building up the climactic point of the story, perhaps an additional image would've helped. Nonetheless, it still sounds like a great children's book to encourage reading! Great review, thanks!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 19:41 I chose this book but the download didn't work. I was able to see some of the illustrations and found them amusing. I hope the author adds that missing link to clinch that wayward 🌟.
Oh, I hate it when that happens! Me too--it's a cute book, otherwise.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 18:56 I love this story line! Reading doesn't only make you smart - it makes you useful! This sounds like a charming book. Thanks for the insights and the recommendation.
Yes--such a great message for kids! Thank you!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another great review! The book sounds very cute, with a problem even adults face - wanting some quiet time to read without distractions. :) Sorry to hear about the poor transitions between scenes.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh. This is cute. I like that the book offers compromises between the siblings, showing that you don't have to be one way or another, while still following along Loulou's search for a place to read. Very nice.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Very relatable and its nice that she tried to get along with her siblings and help them too, not just herself.

Return to “Children's Books”