Official Review: My Milk Will Go, Our Love Will Grow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: My Milk Will Go, Our Love Will Grow

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Milk Will Go, Our Love Will Grow" by Jessica Elder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Milk Will Go, Our Love Will Grow is a new book (not yet published at the time of this review) by Jessica Elder. Elder is a social worker with extensive training in pediatric mental health and development. Her professional expertise, along with her own experiences with her three children, inspired her to write this book as a tool for breastfeeding mothers to use when it comes time to wean their children off of breastfeeding.

The book is written as a cute poem and shows a conversation between a mother and a toddler who is going through the process of weaning. As implied by the title, the mother indicates that though her milk has helped the child grow, the time has come for her body to no longer provide the milk. However, the mother will still be there to provide for the needs of the child in other ways.

Honestly, I can't even write this review without tears springing to my eyes. I basically cried throughout the whole book, and I would recommend that other mothers read through the book a few times to desensitize yourselves to the message before attempting to present it to your child. The poem is written with a whimsical flow, creating a message with perfect rhyme and rhythm for sharing with a toddler. Some children can be hesitant to transition away from breastfeeding, but the presentation provides a direct yet gentle approach to a sensitive subject for both the children and mothers.

In addition to the heart-warming message of the book, the artwork is amazing. Kids would be drawn to the pictures with interest, and there are lots of things to talk about when sharing the book with children. Also, at the end of the book there are suggestions for how to use this book, including little tips and trips that are useful for sharing any book with a child. As a speech therapist, I really appreciated having this written out for parents; children’s books aren’t meant to just be read from cover to cover. They need to be explored, pointed to, and questioned. Hey, sometimes kids even need to put books in their mouths if that’s the stimulation they need.

It is with great pleasure that I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, and I would definitely recommend it to any mothers who are going through (or, like myself, who are approaching the time to start thinking about) weaning from breastfeeding. As a matter of fact, I know a few coworkers, speech therapists and occupational therapists, with clients dealing with toddlers refusing to wean from breastfeeding, and I would like to introduce them to this book immediately. But first I have to be able to present it to them without crying.

My Milk Will Go, Our Love Will Grow
View: on Bookshelves
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Seems like an emotional yet a resourceful read. It's true some children can be hesitant to transition away from breastfeeding, and I'm glad that this presentation provides a direct yet gentle approach to a sensitive subject for both the children and mothers. Great review!
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

I've never been a mother but I can certainly appreciate a good book and a good reviewer and I believe I have just encountered both. Without sounding too sentimental, children truly are our future and just great people too. Interesting, wise and innocent. We must do all we can for them as soon as we can and I think your suggestion of using this book not merely for a specific mother and child but as a reference book is right on the mark.

I believe this is the first one of your reviews I've read and I'm anxious and excited to see you tackle other genres too.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :text-thankyouyellow:
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This seems deep!! I felt some of the energy and good vibes that the book gave you through this review. I am glad you enjoyed this reading experience. Thanks for sharing.
godly02
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godly02.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by godly02 »

Great review. I wish I would have had a book like this when I was having difficulty weaning my baby from breastfeeding. It sounds like it would have been a big help to me and my baby. Love books that actually do what they are meant to do and that is helpful.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I've not known many moms who've had issues with weaning their children, but it does sound like this can be helpful as a resource. That it can be shared with children is definitely a plus, as they might not fully understand what's happening.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

What a great idea for a story. Sometimes as mothers, we need all the help we can get, when dealing with these milestones.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

I think the most important books are the ones which are very impactful. Your line "without crying" shows that author did a great job and hit a soft spot. This review was very well versed!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like an amazing book for mothers. Thank you for your honest review.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I'm glad a book like this exists. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Children's Books”