Official Review: Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree" by Phyllis Mae Fisher; Janey Loree Paschal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"If we are kind to others and willing to help living creatures, we will always be taken care of by providence." - That is the central message of this lovely children’s book. Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree is, to a great extent, a story of friendships and miracles, revolving around the lives of Rueben and Rachel Oliver. Rueben and Rachel are twins who live with their Gramma Oliver in a tiny cabin in the small town of Snowflake.

While out gathering wood and twigs one afternoon, the twins come across a little Christmas tree with a white top-notch by the wayside. Filled with delight at their find, the twins take the tree home to Gramma Oliver with plans to decorate it in time for Christmas. That very night, the Oliver family experience the first of many miracles. Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree is about to change their lives in ways they could never have imagined.

Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree, written and illustrated by Phyllis Mae Fisher and Janey Loree Paschal, is not your regular children’s book. The story is filled with meaning and exceptionally well-edited. It is a captivating story of human kindness and compassion centered around the spirit of Christmas. The writing was simple and easy to follow, and the illustrations were cute and charming. The discovery of the little Christmas tree with the white top-notch served as a harbinger of miraculous events and new friendships in the lives of the twins. The authors expertly weaved in suspense that had readers guessing at what the next miracle would be. The best miracle was saved for last.

The lessons on the importance of moral and educational values were adequately highlighted. One of my favorite things about the book was the cute monthly rhymes the schoolchildren were taught to recite. Rhymes like – “Flowered lanes for April rains,” or “May is here, the days are clear.” The rhymes teach kids about the months of the year and what makes each one special. Additionally, through the colorful cast of characters, kids are introduced to a multitude of fascinating professions. I also like that a glossary of terms was provided at the end of the book for vocabulary enhancement. I learned that a Farrier makes metal shoes for horses, and a Mercantile is a store where people buy or trade items.

The book appeared professionally edited as I could hardly spot more than two typographical errors. There wasn’t much to dislike about the book. Although, I would have preferred that the book be a bit shorter in length, as kids tend to have short attention spans. I gladly rate Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to elementary school kids, as I consider it a worthwhile learning experience for younger readers.

Twiglet: The Little Christmas Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

This book seems very lovely. It is important for children's books to be kind and meaningful. I am glad to see that this book delivers those messages in such a sweet story.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds very cute and I will add it to my list to read to the kids. It sounds like it is full of fun rhymes! Thanks for the lovely review!
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

This book sounds wonderful and my little one would love it. I can’t wait to read it. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds cute! I wonder about the miracles they experience after bringing home the tree! I love Christmas stories, even children's ones. I'll look into this. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a great book. The description of the Christmas tree reminded me of Charlie Brown’s tree with it’s appeal to the child picking it. I love that this book includes a glossary, too. Thanks for your wonderful review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

This review came out at the right time of year and seems like a really cute story! Congrats on such a great review. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Sexymomma1010
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Sexymomma1010 »

This sounds like a good book to read. I might get it for my grandchild. Thanks for the review.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This book has a very good moral lesson to teach children as I think every children book should have. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”